Peace, joy, pancakes - the risks
Cool bosses, who play table tennis with their staff, organize summers and go on holiday together with the whole team, are a symbol of a new, more social world of work. The boss, who also shows his human, soft side, is regarded as an example. But is it really like that?
Feelgood-Management, but also its risks and side effects, we have already reported several times in detail - including in the interview with Monika Krauss-Wildegger.
When Nice Bosses become a problem
From my own experience, I know that too nice bosses can sometimes be a problem. For example, when they see employees as their friends, want to be liked by everyone - and then find it difficult to make even unpleasant decisions. And they are necessary when it comes to the well-being of the entire company.
Exactly for this opinion has been Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®-Author Roland Jäger was heavily criticized for his performance at Anne Will, for example, he was accused of representing an authoritarian, no longer contemporary style of leadership. In this, Jäger is of the opinion that a boss, who thinks about the good of his company, also helps his employees.
How not to do it
An example of how one should not make it better, according to Jäger: Mr. Lieblich visits a customer with his new employee. A friendly conversation during the trip is followed by an excellent contract conclusion. Because boss and customer understand themselves blindingly, the new sits a little apart, listens and is grateful that he does not have to be active himself. Chef Lieblich is also extremely satisfied and the gratitude of his staff warms his heart. The customer is flattered that the boss himself takes care of him. Everyone is happy. But is everything also good?
Rather not, because unfortunately Mr. Lieblich has lost sight of his real task: He should lead his staff. Part of that is that he sets clear goals, but not that he takes work from them. He usually has no time for that. Unfortunately the reality looks different, like Roland Jäger From his many years of experience as a management consultant knows: “Even bosses want to be loved and needed. Therefore, many are afraid to speak a clear word, to take action consistently and sometimes to make unpleasant decisions. They prefer to use nice words and gestures to ensure that there is peace, joy and pancakes - until the bad awakening comes at some point! ”
Nice bosses are cowardly and selfish
And that is bound to come. Because what these nice bosses often overlook: In reality, they don't care for the well-being of their employees - they only care for their own. That is cowardly and convenient - says Jäger. “Employees quickly notice how they can best take advantage of their boss's need for cuddling - for example, by leaving the important tasks to the boss and abusing his good nature. In the long term, however, the performance of the company's department suffers. But someday someone will come to clean it up, ”warns Jäger.
It is better than constantly forgiving mistakes or even jumping in the breach for the subordinates, it is clear to signal: “I stand behind you. And I will also cut off the escape route for you. See that you can deal with the situation. I'm sure you can. ” That means taking hard action when necessary - but not making arbitrary despotic decisions - as Jäger makes it clear: “A good boss makes decisions with the well-being of everyone in mind, but first of all thinks about the well-being of the person Company. In plain language means: He does not harass his employees, but stands behind them. But not in front of them. ”
10 Tips for better management
Chefs should not be too nice? 5 Practical Tips for Better Management Roland Jäger:
- Control instead of praise: Managers do not deserve praise but control. It is unjust if all employees are treated equally.
- The boss has to know what he wants! The saying goes: The hard dogs have the strongest packs. Employees are happy when their boss knows what he wants.
- Well meant is the opposite of good! Inconsistent bosses do not deserve trust, but disempowerment, because the cuddle course brings war instead of peace.
- Who does not fly, who flies! Highly qualified employees without self-propulsion must be separated, unmotivated high potentials are the worst employees.
- Employee loyalty is a myth: Whose best employees after three years do not cancel, is a bad boss!
- Please do not mother: The best bosses do not stand in front of their employees, but behind them - it does not help anyone to protect employees from the consequences of their actions.
- Good nature is a waste of money: Forgiving bosses do not prove greatness, but waste money. Why undisciplined employees have a right to severe sanctions.
- Just do not show weakness: Chefs of weak employees are themselves weak and dependent on their teams.
- Consequence is more important than creativity: Not ingenious ideas, but consistent action brings success - for managers, perseverance is therefore more important than creativity.
- Teamwork is important: With the right team, every strategy is the right one. The boss, on the other hand, does not use the best compass when traveling alone
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).