Presentations and lectures: The effect is important
Not every speech, presentation or lecture is actually heard, understood and recorded by readers. In order for the own message to really reach the listeners as desired, numerous conditions must be met.
What helps, for example, to “get across” messages better are so-called amplifiers: There are some stylistic and rhetorical methods that help lectures and presentations to be perceived even more strongly. How exactly do these amplifiers look like?
Rhetoric tricks: reinforce core messages
In the following, I introduce you to rhetorical principles, the rhetorical trick, if you will, the stylistic reinforcement:
- come to a head,
As a second step, I will introduce you to the associated linguistic patterns (figures), with which you answer exactly the following questions:
- How can our core messages and their emotional staging be strengthened?
- What are the principles behind this reinforcement?
- Which controllers are there, how do they work and do they work?
Embossing with repetitions
Repeats make a contribution simple, credible and insistent. Repeats reduce the effort when listening. We delight the listeners, as they can follow the presentation without great effort. Without repetition, your content will not be so good. This is demonstrated by empirical studies on the learning and forgetting process.
Use repetitions on a small scale (key words) as well as on a large scale (central messages). Repetitions are the favorite tool in politics and advertising, are the simplest and at the same time most powerful principle of rhetoric, If something is repeated often enough, it will eventually be perceived as a fact.
Increase the ability to memorize rhythm
Not for nothing is it said that repetition is the mother of all things. Repeats make your message simple, believable and insistent. Effective formulations have a catchy rhythm.
People recognized early on that it is easier to remember something when it is rhythmic, and passed on their experiences in poems and songs. So, if you want to anchor your messages in the long term, rely on the power of the rhythms.
Threes and Styles
You get a very nice rhythm through three steps. The number three is the magic number of rhetoric.
Also in the sentences you create messages with three-figure figures that are catchy and brain-friendly. Therefore, some stylistic elements can be found.
- Alliteration: Repetition of the first letter in several words. Concise, crisp and striking. Anaphora: repetition of one or more words at the beginning of consecutive sentences or phrases. Highlights important things; creates conciseness.
- Epipher: Repetition of one or more words at the end of consecutive sentences or phrases.
- Anadiplosis: The last words of the sentence are repeated again in the following sentence or subset. Your core message is much more coherent and logical.
- Parallelism: Two to three sentences or phrases are grammatically alike, only the content changes. As a result, our brain needs less energy. It facilitates the recognizability of the train of thought. Your core messages become more catchy, catchy and understandable.
- repetitio: Repetition of keywords, core sentences or central passages. It's best to repeat your core theses or limbic keywords.
- Trikolon: Words, sentences and elements are arranged in groups of three. Effectively and intelligently, as the figure is compatible with the memory performance.
Conclusion: Rhetoric helps to be heard
As you can see, there are a number of rhetorical stylistic devices that can help reinforce messages and the impact of presentations or lectures.
What other tools there are else, you will learn in the upcoming parts of this small art series.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965964297
English version: ISBN 9783965964594 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).