People are at different frequencies
How can people with something simple like communication - two parties talking on the same channel - struggle so hard? Company Actually, this is often a big problem. People are on different frequencies. They talk to each other, but do not hear each other. This naturally causes disadvantages, not least for the customer.
The solution to this problem is the Social Intranet. An intuitive platform on which all colleagues can be found regardless of department, location, expertise or level, where sharing, likening, reacting, adding and adapting is the most normal thing in the world.
Studies * have shown that for companies with social intranet, approximately 92 percent of employees have access to this digital workspace. The problem obviously is not in the access, but in the use!
Many employees experience their social intranet as a mere addition to the normal workspace, not as a necessity. Very often still becomes eMail considered the best tool for sharing information and knowledge. But not everyone thinks this way.
The generation air must be overcome
eMail is and remains a popular means of sharing information, but its popularity and usage is shifting with respect to the generation: it is mainly the older employees (55 +) who are on eMails hold. Younger people, on the other hand, are often annoyed by the eMail-Flu and feel more comfortable with modern, social channels like WhatsApp.
So there is still sufficient communication, only this happens through different channels. If both groups adhere to their own vision and preference, they never get together on the social intranet. Something has to change, but what? And how? To get ahead, we use the Lean method.
What is the Lean Method?
A common but erroneous assumption is that lean is solely about improving production processes. In fact, this philosophy has its origins in the works of the Japanese automaker Toyota. But it includes much more. Lean uses a process that is of the utmost importance to any business: the ever changing needs of the customer.
Lean offers itself as a method to prepare people for the challenge of constantly changing customer needs: how can we offer targeted and efficient services? Elementary for this is optimal communication. This shows the relationship between lean and social intranet: communication - also in the intranet - must be effective and efficient, focusing on the target: the successful projects and the fulfillment of the requirements on the part of the customers.
According to Frits de Vries, founder and CEO of LeanENT, a "lean intranet" can be achieved in four steps:
- Create awareness. Do not hide problems but reveal them.
- Overcome paradigms. Change means resistance. But when paradigms are broken through, there is innovation and dynamism.
- Action. All theory does not help, the new corporate culture has to be lived and lived. Give time, but stay tuned!
- Improvement. Learning, evaluating and improving together.
Two birds with one stone
In this way, the Lean method literally catches two birds with one stone: it improves the efficiency in the exchange and therefore the flexibility a company needs to satisfy its customers. This does not mean that the company must directly change all processes.
Some simple rules can already very effectively help to convert the social intranet to lean and thus prepare the way. The following five tips will help to use a social intranet in such a way that employees of all generations participate and initiate efficient processes.
5 Tips for activating employees all generations
- To give an introduction: Explain in a statement or introductory course why and what the social intranet is intended for. Only if the employees recognize the benefit and know exactly what they are allowed to do on the intranet (and what they are not) can they use it correctly. This will also prevent the platform from being "misused" for irrelevant information.
- Manage the exchange: Determine which information is really necessary and which only distracts from the goal (customer satisfaction). A community manager can support the users and inform them if they do not use the intranet effectively. The removal of outdated information is also part of this, because only in this way does the social intranet remain tidy, clear and relevant.
- Ensure a flat hierarchy: Remove all barriers that could prevent people from getting in touch with each other. A lean intranet does not follow the hierarchy of the organization, but offers employees of all departments and levels the chance to read, provide information, and provide feedback.
- Create timeliness: New versions of documents should always be added directly, but also marked as such, so that nobody has to question the timeliness of information. Files and discussions that are no longer relevant should be archived. Thus, they remain preserved but do not burden the clarity and ease of use.
- As simple and easy to use as possible: For information to be really easy to find, you should introduce a categorization. This may relate to the project, the topic, the customer or the department. Of course, the user-friendly search function is also included. In addition, a simple and logical navigation menu.
Just start! As many tips as you take, the most important step is and remains: just do it! If the structure is well prepared, invite the staff and start uploading and interacting with each other. Whether an older or younger employee makes the first step, it does not matter! As soon as one person starts implementing the social intranet as a new workplace, the others automatically join in.
Source: Entopic Intranet Monitor 2014
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).