Dead end - it can be that fast
It can go quickly with the impasse: Get a great job offer, with higher salary, more leadership responsibility, more creative freedom - allegedly. For beautiful promises, concerns are quickly ignored in the first euphoria:
For example, that you have to move from the big city to the countryside. Or that you have to buy the pay rise with significantly more stress. Or that the freedom of design is not as great as expected.
Eva-Lotta Sjöstedt as a current example
A current example is the Karstadt manager Eva-Lotta Sjöstedt, who has just thrown the towel this week. Reason: Too little support from Nicolas-Berggruen, owner of Karstadt.
Such a situtation is difficult if one can not get back from his old job or no new possibilities open up on the horizon.
5 Tips, so that the career ladder does not become the Sachgasse
But how can such misjudgments be avoided? We give 5 tips on how they can maintain a realistic view from the beginning in such situations.
- To be informed: It may sound hackneyed, but in the first euphoria you will miss some warning. It is important to find out before a supposed rise exactly what the new job means - eg more stress, more travel, moving to the countryside. Because the supposed dream job can quickly become a nightmare.
- Know your goals exactly: If you want to be successful, you should know exactly what success means to you. This is not always synonymous with more salary and more responsibility. Therefore, one should realize what is important in life - and whether the new job really fits these personal goals.
- Is the work fulfilling in the long term? If you do not have time for hobbies, family and relaxation, the batteries are quickly empty and top performances impossible. If you do not have time for hobbies, family and relaxation, you should ask about the short-term salary increase.
- The chemistry must be right: But it is also important that you with the new colleagues and the Manager clearly comes. Anyone who has a slight doubt at the beginning, whether it can work it should not just wipe it aside but try to get more information.
- The rise a flop - and now? What can you do if it turns out that the supposed rise on the career ladder was a flop? Restrict damage. Perhaps there is still a possibility to continue in the old job. If not, you can bridge the waiting for new opportunities with other jobs or make yourself independent.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).