There are good reasons for the study break
An aborted degree is not just a recommendation letter for potential employers. No ambitions, no perseverance, no thought before - these are the prejudices with which drop-outs must live. There can be good reasons for not finishing a degree. Important: Applicants should be aware of their abilities, experiences and motivation.
Doubts of study are widespread. Every second student has already thought of giving up. The most frequent reason for this is a lack of study content - according to the participants of a recent survey by univativ. Anyone who finds himself in such a situation and continues his studies for fear of an uncertain future can exacerbate the crisis. For if desire and reality are very different, if the dissatisfaction with the chosen subject is not only a temporary thirst, one may be struggling with the same problems all his working life. Instead of pursuing a path that would also lead to frustration in the long term, an honest analysis of the situation would be appropriate.
What can I do well and what not?
If, at the end of such an argument, the study breaks, this is not a failure. This realization alone opens up new opportunities. What do I really want, what can I do well and where can I bring my skills? These questions should be the focus when it comes to possible alternatives.
You're struggling with the marketing lectures, but you can handle the balancing module? Then a specialization in this subject may be the solution. The study does not offer enough practice? For a good quarter of respondents in the univative survey, this was a problem. These candidates may be better served by dual studies or vocational training.
There are many ways open to dropouts - but with detours
That a plan B does not necessarily have to be worse than the actual goal is shown by many examples of prominent dropouts, from Barbara Schöneberger to Mark Zuckerberg. These career paths are not that extraordinary. The vast majority of those who complete their academic education without a degree quickly gain a foothold in the labor market.
Half a year after exmatriculation, only eight percent of them are still unemployed, as the German Ministry of Economics found in a study. The rate of university graduates is almost identical, of which six percent are still looking for work during the reference period. However, drop-outs may have to be more flexible and more patient: while one-third has found employment after six months, another third is undergoing training.
7 Tips for job search after study break
But what should university dropouts now do when looking for a job? Certainly the most important aspect: To focus on one's own abilities instead of lamenting about dropping out of university. Even without a degree, applicants have many options - but they have to do a lot for them.
- Job search with graduation costs more effort: In order to get a second chance, applicants sometimes have to work harder with a “kink” in their CV. Applicants need motivation and a clear vision of the future. It is important to find convincing arguments to refute the prejudices described at the beginning.
- Stamina show: Dropouts may do well to demonstrate their perseverance in other ways. For many companies, completing a degree is the best proof that you can bite through and master even difficult phases. They expect the students to inform themselves before they go to university and to complete the chosen subject. This shows that someone has stamina and is also a little suffering. Here, for example, applicants can refer to other areas such as volunteer work.
- Well argue: Points can be presented by applicants, especially by presenting their concept of their new career path and their motivation. They should convey that they did not fail in the course of studies, but have deliberately opted for an alternative. It is important to prepare well for questions, in order not to get stuck in the discussion at this point. An argument can be, for example, a student job, which was so much fun that one wanted to enter the area directly. If one also brings practical experience or specific knowledge, for example through further training, the chances are equally much better.
- Practice and soft skills open doors: Of course, there is also a portion of reality and a thorough search for your own desire to prepare for one application, Working without a medical degree as a doctor is futile. Even in hard-fought jobs such as company consulting, direct entry without a degree is not realistic. However, in most areas it is the mixture of skills, experience and personality that leads to success. Applicants should therefore acquire practical experience and acquire skills in other ways.
- On the suitability it depends: For many companies, depending on their particular job, above all the suitability. Whether you prove this by a degree or by practical experience, plays a minor role. In addition to subject-specific qualifications, candidates should also have soft skills and leadership qualities. Applicants can be characterized by a high degree of agility, flexibility, a sense of responsibility and entrepreneurial thinking and acting.
- Insert semester practical semester: So, there are quite a few, the career after graduation. Nevertheless, dubious students should not throw the rifle into the grain. If you are still unsure about what is to come after this, do well to put in a praxissemester and try out alternatives. With the necessary distance you can often see better whether you just want to change the subject or an end of the academic education is the only right step.
- Education offers good opportunities for dropouts: Those who do not focus on classical academy professions also find good opportunities in the trade. There, qualified newcomers are sought for as a hanger. Study drop-outs usually make the leap into a lesson without difficulty and can often also shorten the training period if already graduated semesters are counted. A dual degree or the master's examination opens up concrete perspectives on leadership positions or business start-up and self-employment.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).