Fixed Mindset: We will definitely find a job!
Some time ago, at a German university, I tried to bring students the benefits of job hunting and networking via social media. Only this time were not budding journalists the listener, but economists. Also a group of graduates, who may soon be able to hire as a bicycle courier?
My students' enthusiasm for social media left a lot to be desired, to say the least. To Facebook you could just durchringen.Twitter found most very interesting - let's see, so the unanimous opinion. But for blogging, so the objection, just missing the time. Anyway, that's more of a journalist anyway.
Arrogance from uncertainty?
What really bothered me about the socks was the unanimous opinion that we were studying economics. Because we definitely find a job and do not need such a junk! It may be that as a spiritual scientist who is aware of his whole course of studies, that it is hard afterwards, one can only dream of such self-assurance.
Or should one rather speak of unrealistic arrogance? Not infrequently uncertainty and arrogance are closely related. And in fact, it shows that the students are well aware that their situation may not be that great either:
Scientists driving the taxi, BWLer become bicyclecuriers?
I once asked how they came to their previous jobs. One participant reported it first with a normal one application trying to have - and failed. Only in the second attempt she had come over vitamin B to their internship. Quite normal in this company, she said resignedly.
Humanities scholars always say that they can only become taxi drivers. Maybe they'll tell you soon, they'll become bicycle couriers? Well, it does not have to be that bad - in both cases.
Fixed Mindset: Victim of the Pig Cycle?
But the student experience already coincides with what Svenja Hofert once wrote in her blog: namely that business students will be the next victims of the pig cycle. A subject that many studied, who didn't want to look as stupidly precarious as humanities scholars - and who might end up doing even worse.
"Not a few still have no permanent job one year after graduation. Many, even women, also work as "secretary plus", ie assistant. Then again there is a lot of temporary work and occupations at the level of clerks. "
Classic business studies fall away
Hofert also mentions the reasons: There are hardly any older business economists who will be dismissed in the next few years. Employee and student numbers continue to rise - with steady to falling demand.
After all, classical business areas such as marketing and human resource management are changing radically, are becoming more and more technical, thanks to social media and the Internet: companies are therefore looking for people who have the technology and the economy as an additional qualification rather than for business management.
Students are inflexible
Hofert complains that the students are inflexible and
"For example, strive for the popular product manager positions in corporations where there is less and less - instead of building up an interesting specialist profile."
However, you have to admit that it is not easy in Germany in particular to reorient yourself professionally. Too often you come across the fixed mindset, which means too often job changers encounter a lot of prejudices of straightforward careerists.
Lack of flexibility with the fixed mindset
Incidentally, I was also able to determine this lack of flexibility in my students: one would rather lay hands on one's lap than act on one's own. After all, no one believed in the fact that potential employers could become aware of job seekers through their own web presence on the net. Motto: "Does not bring anything, so I prefer to leave it!"
Very innovative, the students of today.
10 tips for finding a job with Growth Mindset
This is why it seems easier for many people to ride a dead horse in the Fiexd Mindset than to engage in lifelong learning, rethinking and thus growth mindset. 10 tips on how to get it done!
- Only courage! A new start is not easy, especially in Germany. Above all, you need courage to change.
- Forget job offers: Classic job advertisements often only look for specialists with the appropriate training. Lateral entrants quickly fall through the cracks.
- Personal networks: Recommendations from friends, acquaintances and colleagues are much more sensible, especially for those changing over - they replace references.
- First the research, then the application! First of all you need all the information about the desired company and the contact person that you can get. Research exactly where you fit your qualification profile.
- Unsolicited application: If you apply on the initiative, your application is often alone on the table. That increases the chances.
- Address department: Even if it means more effort to research the contact person: Do not write to the HR department, but to the specialist department. Personnel personnel usually sort out career changers immediately.
- Selling yourself positively: Just don't give the impression they have to change! Make it clear that the switch is your wish - it looks more confident.
- Good reasons: Why did you want to change? You have probably thought it through carefully - and that is exactly what you should get across. Just don't give the impression that you ended up with this company by accident.
- Self-confidence: Your experiences so far are by no means unimportant, because they belong to them. Sell them positively and don't ride around on technical or personal deficits.
- How do you use your boss? Career changers have to be twice as confident: Underline the qualifications that you have as a career changer: high motivation, flexibility and creativity.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).