Use all means to find a job
Applicants love job ads, studies show time and time again. When it comes to finding a new job, however, all possibilities should be used.
An important success factor here is a strong network that provides tips on vacancies and Casting or communicates important contacts. Good contacts are also the best basis to secure your own job.
Start in time
However, one should not wait until the times turn out to be bad and go to job search. Because the key to successful network work is not the answer to the question of who you know, but rather whether others know one. So you should not ask yourself what certain people can do for you, but always remember what you can help others.
In addition, there are differences between online networking and casual, personal encounters: finding contacts and networking via the Internet works more directly than in "real life". You search for people according to certain of these criteria - and at the same time sorts out all the information you do not need. This can be an advantage because you save a lot of time. But often also interhuman things that you would take in the normal conversation "along the way" on the track.
It depends on the platform
The success in job search also depends on which platform you use, because each one has other advantages and disadvantages: Xing is the most famous business network in Germany where real people can manage their business contacts with other people.
One of the core functions is the visualization of the contact network; for example, one can ask which other members are known by another. In addition, the system offers numerous functions such as contact page, search for interests, forums and groups. There are also functions for planning events together with others as well as marketplace where users can post and view job advertisements.
Private or professional? Which network is the right one?
On the other hand, LinkedIn is the largest online business network worldwide. Similar to Xing, LinkedIn provides the ability to search for people with profiles in their own environment or industry, track the careers of other members, and address people and decision makers directly. In addition, Linkedin can also retrieve company profiles and recommend other members in the form of a short text on the profile of the respective contact.
Rather intended for private use are networks we Snapchat or Facebook. Users can set photos and videos, add friends, and write comments. But precisely because these networks allow more insight into private life, their importance for business is not to be underestimated.
10 Tips: How to use networks for job search
Online networks are now almost indispensable for job searches. We have compiled 10 tips for successful use.
- Let us recommend: Recommendations by colleagues and business partners highlight your strengths and show that you are a valued employee. As a leader, employees' recommendations can, for example, underline your leadership skills.
- Find out where the employees of a company were previously employed: If you know where employees of a particular company have worked before their current position, you can find out which criteria a company places special emphasis on when making new appointments.
- Find out where employees of a company go: Seeing where employees of a company go can help you find potential employers.
- Check if a company is currently hiring workforce: Find people who have recently changed jobs and ask for tips. You can view the entire career and find out what has made it so attractive for the employer.
- Get in touch with HR decision makers: Search for contacts to a job vacancy. However, make sure that the contacts are not more than two relationships away from you, ie you know someone who knows the person who has offered the job offer.
- Make contact with the right contact person for personnel questions: The best way to get in touch with the person in charge is through a person personally known to him. If you do not have such a contact, you will find someone within the company that makes contact for you.
- Air secret qualification requirements: Job advertisements usually only convey the meaning of what qualifications are actually sought for a specific job. Try to get an insight about contacts within the company and look closely at the employee profiles: From here you can draw conclusions about which qualifications are particularly in demand.
- Join startups: If you are unsuccessful at large companies, it may be time to try a startup. When searching, enter "Startup" as the keyword. You can then restrict the search to specific industries and locations.
- Attention Privacy: Whatever data and information you put on the web, you should be aware that employers and potential colleagues can see it - sometimes even years later. So be careful.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).