To the history of the assessment center
The English term deceives that this test procedure was originally developed in Germany under the name "Army Psychology" and was used to select the junior officer.
In the 50 years, the American economy discovered this method to test applicants for their suitability. And since the 70 years, the assessment center in Germany has been increasingly used as a personnel selection tool.
The procedure is used particularly in management, but now also used for trainee apprentices, especially if they apply to banks and insurance companies.
What happens at the Assessment Center
In the assessment center, a combination of different behavioral and work samples is used to select a personnel. The applicants or participants in an AC procedure are working on tasks that are intended to simulate the future leadership situation.
The resulting behavioral and performance results are assessed by so-called assessors (mostly executives from the Company, but also psychologists) observed and evaluated.
The most important tests, tasks and exercises in this procedure are:
- Interviews (individually and in groups)
- Postcorb exercise (typical tasks from the professional field)
- Manufacturing tasks (a manufacturing company is simulated)
- Rolling games (usually in pairs, eg sales, employee, problem / conflict conversation)
- Presentations and lectures
- Group discussions (with and without roles)
- individually workable tasks and tasks
- Intelligence and performance tests
- Personality and interest tests
- biographical questionnaires
- Curriculum vitae
The Examination Board
The execution time of an AC is usually three to eight hours, in rare cases sometimes two full days. Here, six to twelve participants work between eight and twelve exercises. As time is money, more and more companies are turning to apprenticeship applicants for a kind of mini-AC, which only takes one to three hours.
As mentioned above, the assessors play an important role. These three to six observers represent the candidate selection and training placement providers, on whose decision depends who is hired.
In other words, they form the examining board, which, like jurors, make their judgments in figure skating. Sometimes, so-called moderators appear whose job it is to find the introductory or passing words about the AC tasks, to control the organizational process and, if necessary, to do some jokes to lighten the tense situation a little.
The following features and requirements are to be checked at the AC:
- • social competence (eg co-operation, contactability, sensitivity)
- systematic thinking and acting (eg abstract and analytical thinking, decision-making ability, planning and control)
- Activity (eg work motivation, leadership, assertiveness and self-employment)
- Expressiveness (eg written and oral communication skills and flexibility)
Some test assignments will help you to successfully pass an Assessment Center, but it is not enough to practice only because such a selection process also includes many other tasks.
It is important that you pay particular attention to your behavior, as you are closely followed by the assessors in this selection process.
The 11 most important behavioral rules for the AC interview:
- Listen attentively, focused-turned towards.
- Keep appropriate eye contact.
- Watch closely (without eyeing).
- Think before you answer, take the time.
- Do not be afraid to ask.
- Better talk a little less than too much.
- Let your conversation partner talk.
- If you wait, you can also take a short break.
- Be more reserved than too offensive.
- Stay objective, calm, patient and relaxed.
- Last but not least: pay attention to your body language.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).