The surprising strengths of the introverts
Ingo but to their surprise active targeted and could quickly prevail in an internal tender for a higher position. Ingo loved thorough research and was great at creating templates. He maintained excellent contacts in many divisions of the company. Only: These qualities had completely escaped the Extro boss. Ingo simply had not communicated her. The supervisor did not notice the gap until things got hot: Information channels broke off, templates were criticized for their poor quality.
Ingo's experience is made by a lot of gentle people: they are underestimated, although they often perform with their strengths, which increase the value of the results. The Extros do not perceive the quality of their intro colleagues. But this is only half the truth: because the intro colleagues often do very little to be perceived with their strengths and achievements.
This is how intros assert themselves in the Team
So how can you work as an intro in your team and communicate so that you are adequately visible with what you are doing? What else can you do to make sure you get on with the other team members - and vice versa?
Good answers to these questions should meet two conditions: First, you should take your needs into account, and second, the needs of the extroverted group members (it's easy with the intros ...). The following two strategies aim to reconcile the two perspectives. Try them out!
How to bring together intro and extro needs
- Intro need: longer undisturbed working alone
- Extro-need: to work in partial steps, to discuss the results and to proceed further
- Strategy: Create rituals of exchange where you and others can orient themselves, giving you the freedom to concentrate on your work.
5 tips for focusing;
- After meetings, stay a little longer to get in touch with the others. Plan this time deliberately.
- Arrange a daily window with the colleagues, in which you can work undisturbed.
- Divide your work into daily steps and take a break after a while to interact with others. Take advantage of this too eMail and telephone.
- With colleagues who appear unannounced, you can arrange a different time if it does not suit you: “I am currently working on an urgent matter. Do you have time for coffee after lunch? ” Attention: In crisis situations of all kinds, this is not appropriate!
- Talk to your colleagues about your work. Be specific: “How did the customer react last week…” This kind of attention is very much appreciated.
- Intro need: between them
- Extro-need: between exchanges with others
- Strategy: If you are planning to spend time with your colleagues, plan your meetings or even your daily work routine. Plan retreat phases as well.
5 Tips to Keep Calm:
- Consider your work in sections as a stage. If you are in these sections, you are in contact with others, approachable and present. However, make sure to leave the stage between the rest in the rest of the world. This can be a walk in the lunch break, in a particularly stressful situation even a mini-break behind the locked toilet door.
- Make a date for lunch. Many intros appreciate a lunch for two or three. Give your full attention to the people you deal with.
- Tail small seminars, such as a lecture, at events or seminars. Use the time gained for a retreat.
- Find out about the informal rules in the team: Which social events and encounters are important? Which are not? Act accordingly. In other words, you have the courage not to join non-priority ventures. Such as the bar visit after an exhausting event day. Balance your absence by participating in another activity as long as your energy level is still relatively high: for example, join in on the first evening and not on the second.
- If you are an activist, try to organize a birthday present for a colleague's birthday.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960565
English version: ISBN 9783965960572 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).