It is the problem of many companies: employees fall ill for weeks and months - keyword burnout - or take a longer professional time-out.
In the rarest cases, there is a professional substitute who can jump in immediately, and also the colleagues can cushion only a part of the work. Above all, finding a qualified agency for executives is almost impossible. what can Company to do in such a case?
Interim Manager as an almost unknown alternative
One possible solution, which is still hardly used, is the use of an interim manager. Due to his professional expertise, he can immediately take over the tasks of the failed management and carry out projects smoothly.
Interim managers only remain temporarily in the company and leave the company as soon as the mandate is terminated or the former owner is again operational.
The advantages of a manager on time
Because they are self-employed and only calculate the number of days actually worked, company interim managers are typically more cost effective than a comparable permanent employee.
They also bring many years of experience, an unbiased view from the outside and a fresh breeze - new ideas and solutions are developed and implemented more quickly.
Nevertheless, there may be inconsistencies, irritations and mistrust in the cooperation between the interim manager and the “new” team, after all, both sides have no time to work together.
Here, it is up to the management to set the course at an early stage - the following tips have proven themselves in practice:
- Selecting the right interim manager: A good but often complex way for the company is to research on your own network, on Internet portals such as XING and LinkedIn or with colleagues from other companies. Alternatively, companies can also get in touch with professional agencies: niche providers specializing in a specialist area and maintaining a close personal contact with their interim managers are suitable.
- Briefly but concisely familiarize the interim manager! This means clearly defining their tasks, competences and powers and communicating them to the workforce. However, it is especially important to give him a sense of the corporate culture with its Dos and Don'ts.
- Inform all employees personally about the use of the interim manager; but make it clear that it is a temporary solution and the permanent holder returns to the company - this is best marked with a concrete date.
- Clearly define objectives and expectations, and keep them in writing - interim managers, employees and management have the opportunity to clearly evaluate their successes.
- Keep the failed executive in the loop - if so desired. In particular, a thorough handover between the interim manager and the job holder when returning to the company is decisive for success.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).