Take more chance!
Eddie Obeng, founder of one of the first virtual business schools in the world, criticizes that regulated processes with clear subordination and decision-making structures no longer allow coincidences. Instead of "enjoying" the surprising, you spend years investing a lot of energy in predictions that are already obsolete at the moment of publication.
Ulf Pillkahn, Key Expert for Strategy, Innovation and Foresight of Siemens AG, goes one step further. He wants to reactivate the accidental and proposes to promote innovation by lottery. This saves the pointless procedure of estimating odds according to classical project logic, which suggests a clear result.
Innovation needs space without justification
No decision-maker, no translator, no ideas-maker have to justify themselves for the work on a new topic, for the time spent or for the failure. Because alone the chance decides what is followed.
People create themselves another justification-free space when they network outside the company - often in their free time - and use virtual forms of cooperation to work on creative solutions to difficult problems. InnoCentive is one such platform where organizations can place problems that others then solve for them.
The radicality may irritate. And as he writes in his book, "Weird Ideas That Work," Robert I. Sutton wants to attract attention with radical ideas.
"After all, unusual, even twisted leadership principles are more exciting and memorable than bland conventional recipes. It means putting on ideas without paying attention to the return. It means ignoring what used to work. It means bringing happy people together and engaging them in quarrels. It means hiring candidates who give you a bad feeling in your stomach. And employees who do not want to listen when customers make suggestions are praised and promoted. "
What are Contraintuitive Ideas?
But there is another important point for him. The ideas he cites are called contraindications. That is obvious: if Company If they really want the new, they have to do things that are in contradiction to the known.
One might ask now: Does contraindication not exclude the feeling? We have experienced exactly the opposite in our research and practice. Counterintuitive is usually understood as "contrary to common sense" - more apt to us: "contradicting the common sense".
Contrary to common sense - 5 examples
We do not mean rationalization with contraintuition. But an attitude that resists the first reflex, the standard reaction, the usual assessment, the quick conclusion.
Some examples of counterintuitive ideas are:
- an entrepreneur of the automotive supply industry, who has broken the departmental logic and paid his temporary workers on a tariff and better than their employees;
- a hotelier who invests half of his working time in the training of employees of his hotels and resorts;
- a consultancy firm in which the employees themselves determine their salary;
- the founder of a drugstore group with 40 000 employees, who do not use internal cost accounting;
- a furniture manufacturer who chooses his own customers and who are second to the furniture and people.
How do contraintive ideas arise?
Most of these people have felt in the course of their work that there is an alternative to the obvious. Innovation requires counterintuitive action. New things can only arise in classically managed structures if they are disregarded or ignored. Let's summarize:
- Pattern breakers do not like "fish sticks". They have lost faith in innovation management.
- Pattern breakers create spaces without justification. These spaces evade the logic of the organization and give people the freedom to try things out safely.
- Pattern breakers give chance a chance. He is superior to a selection of ideas according to purely rational criteria.
- Pattern breakers have the courage to lead a contraceptive feeling.
- Pattern breakers form a strong counterbalance to rational organizational logic.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).