Home Office - A job with pitfalls
As I have noted, a recurring topic of discussion is the separation of professional and personal concerns in times of increasingly flexible working hours, smartphones and the home office.
The topic is therefore more and more current, especially for employees, because just larger Company Strengthen trust-based working hours: That means employees can decide for themselves when and where they want to work. Often enough, there are not enough jobs for everyone in the company, which means that employees are forced to organize their work on their own desks.
Self-organization in the home office presents many people with challenges
But this is a big challenge for many people, as we are Best of HR – Berufebilder.de® have discussed again and again. Not in vain provided Marissa Mayer's anti-home office measure a few years ago for months of discussion in the media.
I myself have been a home office worker for a long time - just because it is the most productive form of work for me. But I also know the usual disadvantages associated with it: unergonomic work, working in pajamas, irregular food - in one word: too little structure!
Organize agile work on your own responsibility
The sticking point is: While you get predetermined structures in a company, you have to actively and autonomously break out of his comfort zone in the home office.
These include, for example, regular sports activities, lunch meetings and professional or private evening events. Anyone who does not freeze at some point in his habits, instead of staying flexible and agile. And many digital workers, who appreciate the constant flexibility and agility in their job, quickly break with this kind of new stubbornness.
Get out of the comfort zone: the disadvantages of the home office
"Even though I'd" work "all day. I'm starting my day, still in my pajamas ... and sometimes that's how I'd end my day ... not the enemy to freedom, it's the gateway. "
Separate private and professional areas
The main problem of the home office for many is the mixture of professional and private concerns and the lack of differentiation from each other: some procrastinate their work while cleaning, the others spread their work more and more over the whole apartment.
Another important aspect is to communicate the demarcation to others. It is deep in our heads that someone who is at home has to be free. Here the home office worker has to make it clear to friends, family, partners and children that they are now at work and do not want to be disturbed.
7 tips on how to separate private and professional in the home office
It is therefore important to separate occupational and private matters in the home office and to communicate this clearly. 7 tips on how to do that to yourself and others:
- Clear the workplace: Create within the apartment a fixed, delimited workspace. Only here you will find your documents, nowhere else. In this way you prevent your office from spreading over the whole apartment.
- Take regular meals: An important point that is often forgotten, especially if you live and work alone. The best way to start with a healthy breakfast.
- Schedule regular breaks and sports: Healthy and productive work involves not constantly powering around the clock, but regularly recharging the batteries or relieving stress through sports and physical activities.
- Do the most important task first: This also applies, and especially in the home office - you can not say it often enough.
- Learn to say no One of the hardest exercises in the home office - say no, when friends or family call or, for example, come by unannounced. Say no to the partner, who might disturb you in between. You should know exactly when your limit is exceeded and if possible before friendly say no, before it comes to the overwrought Ausraster.
- Say no to children: Children also have to learn that mom or dad is at home, but is currently working and they therefore have to play alone. Nevertheless, many customers understand, for example, if you have to interrupt a phone call because of the children.
- Focus on tasks: Even though Twitter, Facebook, eMails or other diversions lure: Focus on the important tasks and do not be distracted.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).