Why is Home Office pointless?
2004 I wrote my second book "Field Sales and Techniques". Meanwhile, the book has been published in the fifth edition and several 10.000 Male sold. When I delivered the first manuscript to the publisher, the editor wanted a chapter on home office. I did not originally plan that, because I wanted to write something about sales and distribution and less about self-organization.
Nevertheless, I have complied with the wish of the editor. I admit, I first had to research the Internet to get some ideas about what I could write about in such a chapter. At the time, I had 12 years of home-office experience behind me. Since then, however, I have been living with my employees in a large office building for three years now. Even then I could illuminate both sides of the medal quite objectively.
Today, Work Life Balance is difficult to get into fashion through flexible workplace solutions and is offered by more and more employers. Reason enough to consider the work from home and its disadvantages and dangers. What do I mean by that?
From Yahoo to IBM: 3 reasons against the home office
- Comfort hurts productivity: If you work from home, then you have access to many amenities. Too much comfort, too much comfort is not good for your productivity. Working from home can be catastrophic for your productivity, your quality of life, your marriage, your children, and the overall success of your business. If you make yourself comfortable, you are less active. Being less active means you are not reaching your full potential, especially your sales potential. Working from home is very dangerous because you may be too relaxed about it.
- Too much self-discipline is necessary: Currently, the decision of IBM is discussed to dissolve the home office. IBM is not alone. Do you know what the first official decision of the new Yahoo boss Ms. Marissa Mayer was? She issued a ban on home workplaces. One reason was productivity, the other one was not the idea of a company! The idea of a company is that there people work together and so a certain philosophy is internalized and communicated, which also creates new ideas. Working together in a team can be very motivating and productive. I can understand Marissa Mayer. Also in my team there is always the idea to work one day a week from home. For all love: that makes no sense! ... especially not with our small team of 20 employees. And if I now look at the direct sales position, such as the telephone sales, then I say: impossible! There are too many distractions, too high a requirement for the degree of self-discipline.
- Too much distraction: When working successfully from home, everything stands and falls with self-discipline. If you want to achieve results, you need incredible self-discipline. Your home is full of distractions: your partner, your kids, your pets, the TV, your computer, your smartphone, your couch and your own bed for a quick nap. Believe me, only the truly disciplined manage to be productive in this environment. Lots Company worldwide offer their employees to work at home at least once a week. If you ask these employees, say about 50% that they are happier with this scheme. I bet they'll be happier with that, but are they productive too? If your own kitchen is only a few yards from your desk and she regularly invites you to take a break, or if your TV is in the same room you want to work in, 99% Home Office is for everyone, at least what productivity, the worse solution. I still remember what that was like when I started marketing at a time when I was still a sales representative with a home office. My partner was of the opinion that the moment I arrived home, I accompany her to the store, bring down the laundry, get the shopping from the car, bring the garbage away, clear out the dishwasher, mow the lawn, on any Things could take care of shortly and so on. My productivity on such days was just above zero. No question: it was nice to spend the day in my familiar environment and with my partner, but my productivity and success were below average on those days.
3 important tips for working in the home office
If you still want to work from home, I have 3 important tips for you:
- Do you have fixed times: When does your workday begin? When are you going to break and when to leave?
- Do you have a permanent office? Use a space that is only intended for your work! There is no TV in this room! There are no things you can distract! A space for maximum productivity.
- Make Contracts: Make a written agreement with all the people in your household. An agreement that all sign: Determine when to go to work or to your home office, when you have a break, and when the day ends for you. During this time, disturbances are completely prohibited. Everyone should sign this, so that everyone is really clear what it is about. It may be a radical step, but this is the only way to keep your productivity up.
Why Starbucks is better than home office
A few days ago I had an interview for a podcast with the entrepreneur Matthew Mockridge. We talked about offices and he said he started his first startup in a Starbucks cafe. He also had no home office and has deliberately decided against working from home. For me, Starbucks would not be the ideal place, but I like the idea. If you have a lot of distraction at home and you do not want to discipline the relationship with your environment, I recommend renting day offices.
There's another advantage to this, because if you spend money each time to go to your office, you will be using your day very productively-if it's your own money. If the boss pays, he will make sure that you are as productive as possible on that day. Conclusion: Home Office: yes, if you have maximum self-discipline and you agree in advance clear rules with your environment. Otherwise, go out, look for a different work environment, and you'll be more successful, one way or the other.
In this spirit, I wish you every success and "Fat Prey"
PS: Yes, there is the exception: one or two times a month, I also have Home Office and always when I write texts. Texts such as for the newsletter you have just read or, for example, for books or audio books, for specialist articles and, of course, when a new seminar concept or lecture concept is developed.
This is also my home at the kitchen table. In the office, I would never have the peace and concentration for what, among other things, is because I do not have my own workplace in the office. Why? I'm there a maximum of one day a week there, there would be space and resource waste.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).