What did Sebastian Kneipp say about herbs?
Sebastian Kneipp, who lived between 1821 and 1898, is commonly associated with hydrotherapy, i.e. treading water and cast iron. But Kneipp has also raised awareness of herbal healing. His mother Rosina already knew the topic well and while working in Grönbach Kneipp got to know the local pastor and botanist Christoph Ludwig Köberlin, who introduced him to scientific herbal medicine.
Kneipp himself used 46 domestic and 6 exotic herbs in his pharmacy. Today, however, other effective herbs are used in Kneipp therapy, such as lemon balm, hops, dill, St. John's wort and passion flower. Many websites on the Internet, such as those of the Kneipp Bund eV or the Association of German Kneipp Spas and Kneipp Spas, provide information about Kneipp's herbal medicine. In Füssen, Kneipp's herbal medicine is an integral part of the prevention cure "Healthy sleep through inner order" based on Kneipp's teaching, which has now been recognized by health insurance companies as a compact, eligible treatment.
Herbal medicine: There are no standard recipes
Which herb can be used for which disease? Unfortunately, it is not as easy as we would like it to be, like the human biologist, science journalist and herbal expert from Füssen Dr. Ina Schicker explains: “You have to feel what is good for your body. The effects of herbs depend heavily on the circumstances, existing diseases and lifestyle. ” An indication of what is going wrong in modern conventional medicine with its standardized recipes and treatment methods.
Insomnia, for example, can have mental or organic causes. Sleeping also has a lot to do with digestion, the intestine affects the brain and therefore acts as an abdominal brain, so Kneip recommends bitter substances that are good for the intestine.
Herbs work differently for everyone
At the same time, you should not take herbs for too long, but only for about 4-6 weeks, because only then can they take effect and overdosing can quickly lead to side effects and damage. So here the dose really makes the poison.
After all, people are stressed in different ways and in different places in the body, for example in the stomach and intestines, through worries and fears to depression, through hormonal imbalance or in the cardiovascular system. And each type of stress needs a different type of treatment.
11 tips on herbs and their effects
Since the effect of herbs is complex, the following list can only provide very superficial information, since with herbs it always depends on the accompanying circumstances, a deeper study of the matter is recommended.
- Birch, for example, is one of the most important Kneipp herbs: its leaves are used primarily in the kidney bladder area and for skin and hair.
- Valerian, oats, hay flower, chamomile, linden flowers and woodruff are considered to promote sleep - but with restrictions.
- Hay in the herbal pillow reinforced with rose scents, lavender and woodruff can promote sleep, but too much fresh hay can lead to comatose sleep in children, for example. The cumerine contained in hay flowers can lead to headaches in high doses.
- Valerian is probably the most well-known remedy for sleep and is also good in test situations because of its concentration-enhancing effect, but if the dosage is too low it is rather stimulating, but overdosing should also be avoided.
- Lavender has a very calming effect on the psyche and also regulates digestion. Bathing water with lavender herb, in particular, has been attributed to a relaxing and circulatory effect since ancient times. However, you have to like the smell.
- In addition to lavender, lemon balm can also be used universally and practically for everyone: it is good for the heart, but can also be used for all kinds of ailments. Melissa is also considered a particularly effective plant for stomach and intestinal complaints, nervous sleep disorders and loss of appetite.
- As a relative of the gentian, the centaury is just as bitter. Therefore, it also promotes digestive activity and stimulates the formation of digestive juices. It also strengthens the immune system and helps with circulatory and nervous weakness,
- Angelica is also good for the intestines and digestion in the form of teas or tinctures as a bitter substance.
- Hops are also a bitter substance for the liver and stomach and, thanks to their phytoestrogen content, can be a miracle cure for insomnia and discomfort during menopause. For men, however, it tends to dampen sexual desire for the same reason.
- Linden flowers, for example, help against colds in winter, but in summer cooling herbs such as lemon balm or peppermint should be used.
- Peppermint relaxes the stomach wall and thus helps with nausea and stimulates digestion. It also has a cooling effect. The intense taste spoils our desire for pizza, fries, chocolates and other fat and sugar bombs because it no longer tastes - an effective method for a healthier diet.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962224
English version: ISBN 9783965962231 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).