IT-Company are a male domain
When you enter an IT company, you will find one thing for sure: Men. Women still rarely take up a job in a hitherto major male domain. At times, only an average of 15 percent of all job applications for IT jobs go to women. There are many reasons for that. Often the missing female role models are called.
In addition, studies indicate that women initially choose other occupational fields due to childlike imprints. Even if one remembers the school time, girls were then sent to the sewing course and boys assigned to works. In addition, the slogan "Women and Technology", dramatically underlined by the gentlemen of the creation with an ironic undertone, fits thematically very well with the problem.
Employer: too little commitment to equality
The thematic special "Women in IT" of the study series * "Recruiting Trends 2017" of the Center of Human Resources Information Systems (CHRIS) of the University of Bamberg, which was developed in collaboration with the career portal Monster, dealt with this topic.
Around 60 percent of surveyed respondents said that employers are still under-utilized to retain women in the long term and 42 percent complained that too little effort was being made to recruit IT professionals in the first place. Around 44 percent of the interviewed IT experts even think that companies advertise only for women in the IT industry in order to present themselves positively in public.
Equality and Diversity: You can do that right away
There are already measures by companies in the IT industry trying to win over women in the long term. Strategies that prove particularly successful can be found in the following:
- Recruitment and events by and for women: Many companies organize information days specifically aimed at girls and young women to promote young talent such as the Girls' Day and present their own employees as role models. When it comes to recruiting from a potential employer, clear communication is the key: what offers are there to improve work and life balance? What support programs are there for new employees?
- Targeted addressing of women: Targeted addressing of women at career fairs or gender-neutral job advertisements are good ways to convey the benefits of hiring in the IT industry. Job boards or the use of careers networks for targeting female professionals are also well suited to attracting female candidates.
- Design of the application process: Once applicants are found for the new job, the next step is to make them equal to male applicants. Setting up talent pools focused on women, or anonymisation of application materials by the HR department for the first round of selection, are good ways to facilitate a fairer application process. As many as 37 percent of interviewed IT experts prefer an anonymous application process, this is a clear signal when comparing the number with the only 26 percent of interviewed women from other fields of activity.
- Improve your own image: A look into the future is positive, as there are attractive reasons for women in IT, both for the applicants and for the employer itself. The skills shortage is counteracted, the working atmosphere is improved and new perspectives and ideas are introduced into the job , And by the way, you can also polish up the image of your own company by a comparatively high percentage of women.
- Improve working atmosphere: Another reason that speaks for more women in the IT industry is the relationship between team members. Because women ensure a better working atmosphere: 71 percent of the interviewed IT experts rated their relationship with colleagues as positive. This also improves the mood and motivation in the company as a whole.
- Improve salary opportunities: A big plus is also the earning potential. According to the salary report 2017, published by the market research company Compensation Partner, women in IT can expect an annual salary of up to 75.000 Euro, whereby the pay gap to male colleagues is in the majority below ten percent.
- Counteract the shortage of skilled workers: Due to the positive economic situation and the shortage of skilled workers, over 80 percent of German IT entrepreneurs are concerned about losing their employees to other companies - qualified specialists can often choose between several job offers. In addition, IT specialists are often in an advantageous position when it comes to career planning.
#WomenInTech brings many benefits
Of all the interviewed IT experts, 49 percent were positive about the job market development for themselves, 50 percent see great chances to find a job that meets their own requirements and 33 percent saw even good chances to find their dream job. 42 percent rate their job as comfortable and whole 82 percent are satisfied with their working conditions.
Overall, a career in IT for women is very promising. In this sense, it can not hurt to break out of the typical gender role as a woman and in the future in the career choice even in the direction of IT auszuschwenken. And it does not hurt for employers to support them!
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).