Help, I have to give something away
"And everyone brings a gift ..." this harmlessly thrown sentence causes great stress for many colleagues. Because which gift arrives? And which present makes you look stupid? Because giving is more than just a chore: With a gift, you also give colleagues recognition and respect for their work.
But this also means, conversely, that those who are dissatisfied with their present can not quickly recognize themselves and feel humiliated by others. Therefore, it is important in a professional context, to consider the choice of the gift exactly.
Various variants of gift giving
For gifts you have to differentiate basically different variants:
1. Blind gifts - pros and cons
This variant can often be found at company parties. Here, all gifts are thrown into a sack and everyone pulls one. The advantage is that no one goes out empty when the donor is ill.
The downside is that everyone has to find a neutral gift that will not kick anyone. The gift may not be too cheap, for example, that could offend the gifted. It must be gender-neutral: Even if there are only a few female colleagues, it is risky to give a tie. Finally, it must also take into account the background of the colleagues.
For example, chocolate chocolates filled with alcohol can become a problem when colleagues are Muslims - or just want to lose weight. But: Any problems that anyone with the well-meant gift could have, you can not anticipate in advance. That's why you always have an excuse when it comes to blindfolding, even though it does not fit in spite of all efforts: after all, good intentions count as well.
2. Gifts for special colleagues
The second variant is actually the better, because it protects against unpleasant surprises: man knows the name of his colleague before and then buys a specific gift for a specific person. If you know the environment of the recipient, you can make inquiries about his preferences, hobbies, favorite destinations or clothing habits and fix them in writing to develop his ideas.
But even this variant has problems, for example, if it was drawn, who gives something. What do you do if you do not like your colleague? In any case, one should resist the temptation to avenge oneself with an inappropriate gift - because that can backfire, because one suddenly stands there as a slob.
What really matters when giving
It is much more important to give the recipient the feeling that the gift was chosen especially for him. One should never give the impression that it is only a form of duty fulfillment, which indicates disinterest or even lovelessness.
It is equally important not to surrender to exaggerated expectations that the recipient will share their own enthusiasm for the gift. It may well happen that is not the case with all honest effort.
The don'ts when giving and being gifted
You should also refrain from allusions: a colleague who is always late should not be given an alarm clock and should not have a mouthwash for someone who has bad breath. Completely reproached are also sexual allusions, above all from Chef to female subordinates
But also the recipient should do his part to the success of the party Wichtel: He should hide his possible disappointment as possible. Because it pleases the donor when he can determine that his gift arrives. And duty is in any case a word of thanks. On the other hand, it is considered tasteless to inquire about the price of the gift or even to name it.
8 tips for the next colleague gift
Help, the birthday party of colleague X is already the day after tomorrow. But what does one give to colleague X or colleague Y? And what better not? 10 Quick Knigge Rules in Gift Selection.
- No innuendo: A gift in a professional environment may not be so personal that it alludes to a weakness or secret preference.
- Choose a neutral gift: A voucher for a book or restaurant visit or a ticket for cinema - everyone can choose what he likes.
- Be careful with edibles! Even though chocolate and cake are ideal gifts, not everyone likes them and not everyone is allowed to eat them.
- No sexual connotations: Avoid any kind of sexual connotations - such as men giving women, ambiguous garments. This is interpreted as sexual harassment.
- Not too personal: Avoid too personal gifts such as perfume - even if these are otherwise a classic among the gifts.
- Gadgets: Especially suitable for men are technical trifles, such as a USB stick, which can usually be used well for work.
- Do not call the price: Make sure that the price is no longer present on the goods and give it away under any circumstances. You could embarrass yourself and the recipient!
- No less is more, but small is more: Oversized gifts and packaging should be avoided. If you have to transport your present to work or home, you should choose something handy.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).