Why is a real CV so important?
The Casting and the curriculum vitae not only show technical characteristics, but are also a Spiegel of personality. Therefore, according to popular opinion, they should also be written by the applicant himself. After all, not only is a position being filled, but a new colleague is also being sought. The aim of a résumé is to show the person in their entirety and diversity as highly profiled as possible.
At the same time, the uncertainty among applicants who have to deal with this issue is naturally great: they are not experts in the field of application, they often have no inkling of the criteria by which recruiters are sorted out - what is nearer, when to seek advice and help from real experts?
Ghostwriting vs. Application documents - you have to differentiate
Nevertheless, there are service providers for ghostwriting applications. Can you do that at all? And what should applicants pay attention to? This is probably why the question of whether someone else should write an application or CV as a ghostwriter is causing a lot of discussion.
You have to differentiate between real ghostwriting, as it is offered for example by Internet service providers and a sound application consultation, in which the help for self-help is in the foreground. And that's what the experts say:
Ghostwriting of application documents: Pro
The discussion among the industry experts was also very controversial: career expert Ute Blenken, for example, writes:
Right here, the approach would be to say: if a professional could do better, why not engage him for the tasks that you can not handle yourself so well? Finally, companies also seek the help of consultants and experts when it comes to writing job advertisements and pointing out the benefits as an employer on the career website.
Career consultant Christoph Burger, who writes application letters himself on customer request, is of the same opinion:
As a rule, customers bring their cover letters with them. And as a rule they are not good. Of course, I take as much as possible of their original versions. Frequently, however, only individual formulations remain. What is the reason? Most of my clients do not apply as journalists, so they can not write. The written form is only marginal to the professional competencies of engineers, bankers or merchants.
Just like emotion consultant Ulrike Zecher, who would even explicitly recommend hiring an expert:
An application is a bit like flirting: the hair and the body are brought into shape, the latest clothes attracted, a touch of the favorite perfume applied, quickly still the shoes cleaned and on the coolest place in the city. When you meet your dream partner there, you take the chance courageously and speak to her or him. But the zero-eight-fifteen-match slogan is not purposeful and you get a basket ...
An interview has appeared on Personalblogger.net, which argues for a compromise solution:
My conclusion is in the direction of compromise ... First of all, let's let everyone have their business model, without letting us lie and deceive. The demand determines known the offer and if people today have less time and leisure to write themselves to each cover letter and each on the spot tuned CV, so it can take over with a clear conscience professionals.
But of course, there are also counter-opinions that criticize the fact that honesty and authenticity are left behind in the application Ghostwriting:
Career adviser Svenja Hofert, for example, criticizes the high-gloss applications that result from such service providers:
For we have seen not only many graphic marvels of non-graphic artists, but also text products, often created by service providers who come from advertising or marketing and have never had to make any personnel decisions themselves. This is often noticed by the fact that they have not understood what the applicant actually does and what is important in his function.
Lars Hahn and Martin Salwiczek from LVQ generally find it ok to assist applicants with advice and action - but only as an aid to self-help:
If we now come to our LVQ participants, we also support the applications in the form of providing the formal basics and sensitizing them to the employer's view of the application. They should be able to develop their own cover letter. Help for self-help, so to speak.
Finally, coach Christian Müller finds the use of a ghostwriter dishonest to the employer and even useless:
In addition to this breach of trust - because that's exactly what it is for me - I also consider cover letters from ghostwriters to be useless. Only excellent ghostwriters manage to reflect the applicant's style and personalityspiegeln. If this succeeds, such a cover letter can actually be helpful.
The boundaries are fluid
Exactly this is also the conclusion to which the discussion on the topic of ghostwriting in applications comes: Assistance and advice, help for self-help, are completely O. K. and even useful because applicants nun nun are not application experts.
One of A-Z A pimped application, in which at the end an artificial product is sent to the employer in Speech, is not only useless but in the end even harmful. After all, what good is the best application if, in the end, the applicant's specialist knowledge and personality are not reflectedspiegeln?
Tips for finding the optimal service provider
Therefore, if you are looking for a service provider or a consultancy to improve your application and cover letter, you should pay particular attention to the necessary seriosity and good advice.
For service providers who do not know one at all, there is a risk that a person with whom you have nothing to do but who have missed the application but lack the meaningfulness and authenticity of the job is quickly exposed. So how do you make sure that the result of the application has something to do with yourself? 10 Reviews.
- In the beginning there should be good, sound advice: the service provider should deal with you, your CV, your qualifications and your personality. Only then - in the best case jointly created application - also corresponds to their personality.
- Ask for the qualifications of the consultant: Is there a psychological training? What is the current reputation? Are there any feedback from customers, eg on the Internet? And will your application be made by professionals, or only by students who want to earn something?
- Above all, online service providers are willing to send a preparation sheet at the outset. Make sure which points are queried in this: Do they add the information from their CV? Or are you just looking for facts?
- It is important that such preparation forms also deal with the questions behind the facts: Why do you want to apply for this position? What is your motivation? Where do you see strengths and development potential yourself? How do you rate yourself as a leader? How do you act in a team? What are personal characteristics that set you apart?
- In the course of the analysis, superficial facts should first be examined: personal data, company affiliation, change of position, change of the company, completed training and further training courses as well as knowledge in the area of computer and foreign languages. There are service providers, who leave it while querying these facts and from it a CV. Please leave your finger open.
- In addition, the previous résumé should be examined more closely, for example: What skills and competencies have you acquired in the specific situation? What challenges did you face? Which of these challenges did you master how? What areas of responsibility have you already taken on?
- After all, it's about recognizing and presenting the candidate's personality. Only with the known facts from the CV is that hardly possible, or it is purely subjective speculation. At the latest at this point separates the chaff from the wheat at the service providers: Come in this analysis, the psychological knowledge of the consultant to wear, that is, he can even analyze their strengths specifically?
- Of course, it is very important that you as a customer can lead the consultant with one or more personal conversations, so that he / she can learn as much as possible about their personal motivation. Especially cheaper online service providers lead such discussions gladly on the telephone, better is of course a personal discussion. In this, your goals, your motivation for your job, your current situation and the past should be discussed. Only in this way does the consultant get an impression of your person as a whole.
- More power of course costs more - you have to be clear. Inexpensive online providers, who only pour their data into polished formulations, of course cost significantly less than a consultant with specialist and personal expertise who deals with you and your CV in detail. That should be worth it.
- At the end of each consultation should see a feedback loop. You should first receive a draft of your application documents, in which you can comment on all aspects (design and layout, structure, content and language) and - ideally in the context of another job interview - can contribute your own grade. Only then can you be sure that your application really suits you.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965962385
English version: ISBN 9783965962392 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).