Good ideas desperately wanted
Every year at the South-by-Southwest Festival in Austin, the German delegation starts with entrepreneurship. Perhaps for lack of own ideas, American start-ups want to make their move to Germany tasty.
Why Germany for various reasons in terms of innovation in many areas is one step behind, let's let it go there.
What do really good ideas need?
Instead, we want to ask questions. For example:
- What made an idea successful?
- What makes a really good idea?
- And which requirements must a really good idea fulfill, in order to be able to really assert oneself on the market?
These are questions like I already have in my book 10 steps to successful foundation have taken up. many start-ups who start with the anxious question: "Is my idea even good"?
This is exactly where our small checklist helps: Check your idea for success using the following 10 criteria, so that it still works with striking business ideas. Incidentally, I also put a few ideas myself in my book 30 Opportunities for Start-ups before.
Is the idea of monopoly position good?
Facebook investor Peter Thiel has often made it clear in the past that even as a new founder, it is about achieving a monopoly position. And you know that from big corporations too.
This is where markets are sealed off and cartels are formed, all with one goal: market power. Because who has the, can dictate prices and behave like the ax in the woods, simply because the customers have no alternative. But even small entrepreneurs should tap their idea at least on uniqueness. Because if that is not given, they will have a hard time on the market.
Is a monopoly position desirable?
From a market economy perspective, lack of competition is crap, of course, but for Company is a monopoly actually the most desirable thing in the world - even if many claim the opposite. And you can see how hard monopolists have to nibble at the loss of monopositioning.
And micro-entrepreneurs? Yes, they also strive to be able to choose their clients and customers. And how do you achieve that? With knowhow and specialization. There are individual service providers who are so well-versed in their field that they are in demand and can dictate prices. A kind of mini-monopoly position, then.
10 criteria for the success of an idea
Which 10 criteria must be met to make an idea marketable? Here we list the 10 most important criteria.
- An idea must solve problems: A successful idea only has a chance of success if it solves a customer problem. The problem can be functional, emotional (eg need sustainable products) or not even recognized like the post-it's - but customers only buy products if they really get used to them.
- Search in Underground: Innovations are rarely found in the mainstream but rather at the margins of society. And that is exactly where you should look for innovation.
- Long live the remix culture: Umberto Eco said that you could not write anything that had not been written before. This also applies to good ideas: you can not constantly reinvent the wheel, but many good ideas arise from already existing.
- Search industry-specific: Especially in Germany, the choice of personnel is often fished in well-known waters, innovative cross-heads have no chance in companies. In doing so, it is often precisely the foreigners with a new look, which help companies to achieve success.
- Decide and reject: There are many ideas. But to make it happen, you must reject many of you and concentrate on one. Decision-making is important!
- The 140 character boundary: Von Einstein has delivered this quote: "If your idea is not easy to communicate, then you do not understand it." Today you can test that with Twitter excellent: A good idea should fit into a tweet. And this is known to be limited to 140 characters.
- Do not make yourself a slave to market research: If it had gone to market research, Bayley's would have been too sweet and Red Bull "not tasting for cola". Therefore, being slavish does not make sense: implementing ideas also means convincing others.
- Talk to influencers: So-called early adopters are not only relevant in technology; Every industry has their early adopters. And they have to identify and convince them - then the others will follow.
- Make it difficult for competitors: The harder competitors have to copy your ideas, the more successful the idea will be. If that does not work, you can still advertise being the number 2 and therefore working harder for your customers.
- On the execution it depends: Anyone can have good ideas - but then to carry them out, that's what matters in the end. Therefore, you should not leave it with the good ideas, but always think of their execution.
Conclusion: Good ideas are unusual
The conclusion of our review could be: Good ideas are unusual. But not only. They also solve problems, but are often also the result of having analyzed the market well and know what customers expect there - just coupled with a trace of their own creativity.
That's what makes good ideas so successful! In this sense: lots of inspiration!
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).