New Work: Positiv or Negative?
Friendships in the workplace - and not just in Germany - are still viewed with mixed feelings. On the one hand, studies show that working with friends is good for the working environment and makes it more productive.
Such an investigation at Columbia University, which showed that colleagues who liked each other and helped each other were much more productive than those who were dedicated to the job. For this reason, StartUps in the course of the New Work designated working culture promote joint leisure activities such as holidays, sports and parties
Leisure - better not with colleagues?
On the other hand, the mixing of professional and private life is accompanied with much skepticism - not always wrongly. The sales director of Google, which has decisively kicked off this trend, does not participate in the game, as she said in an interview. Excitingly, I found in this context the statement of the Google Sales Director Fionnuala Meehan, She explained to me in an interview in Dublin:
So I do not spend my free time with colleagues. It is important to me that I have a different life besides Google and for example eat dinner with my family at 18 every day. Therefore, it is time for 16 or 17 clock for me. I do not work at the weekend.
Studies show: Dear job and private separate
The Gallup Institute, for example, found in a survey of around five million employees that 30 percent of employees have a so-called best friend in the office. More than half of them, namely 56 percent, are fully committed to their work.
Of the remaining 70 percent, only eight percent were enthusiastic about their job, 63 percent did service and 29 percent even noticed negative comments about their job. A survey by Monster.de also shows that just over one third of all employees separate their private life and job strictly.
What benefits do friends bring to work?
The connection between friendly feelings, working atmosphere and increased performance is evident: those who understand themselves well with their colleagues have more fun and are more productive. Nevertheless, caution is sometimes required - because friends can be chosen, colleagues can not. As conflicts of intercourse and intercourse are mixed, conflicts can arise.
It becomes problematic, for example, if the one wants more than a collegial relationship, but the other does not. Or if Tischnachber likes to tell piquant details from his private life, which one would rather not hear. As most people want a harmonious day of work, they are unsure whether they can put such colleagues in the way.
And what problems arise?
Another problem is envy, which is the result of a sudden career of fellow colleagues - and the other does not. Or when private information is misused to gain a professional advantage.
Depending on the intensity of the relationship, one should also address such negative feeling, because to a certain extent such behavior is normal. In a normal working relationship, on the other hand, a substantive conversation about the new situation is enough.
Is a knit separation of private life and work day meaningful?
In turn, however, it is not useful to separate private life and professionalism. Apart from the fact that this is now becoming increasingly rare, conflicts can hardly be avoided in the long run. On the contrary, whoever avoids the need for private contacts is soon seen to be unsympathetic and is mutually exclusive, which in the long run also hurts the career.
And one more thing to note is that, thanks to the flexible working methods, frequent location and workplace changes, there is less and less opportunity to establish and maintain intensive private relationships outside the profession. In addition, one is inevitably talking about the work with which one is spending his day. If you do not make a compensation there will be a big problem when you lose a job.
10 Tips for dealing with friendships at the workplace
Friendships in the workplace can make working easier, but can also lead to conflicts. 10 tips for proper handling.
- No avoidance attitude: Humans are social beings - also and especially at work. It therefore does not do anything to exclude private things in the job
- To draw boundaries: Not every person is sympathetic to one another and one does not have to exchange with each person private details. Make it clear where your limits lie.
- Openly talking about problems: There is conflict potential in every human relationship. Talk openly about your problems and try to resolve them.
- Do not blaspheme: Even if it seems tempting: With friendly colleagues on the Chef blaspheme, could go to the eye.
- Social contacts outside: Even if it is difficult: Take care also of social contacts outside their jobs. Otherwise, your friendships will be lost when you lose your job.
- Do not be distracted: Here is a chat, as a coffee: Even if you work with friends, the job should not be a chat hour - otherwise there is trouble with the boss.
- Distinctive distance: Distinguish between real friends and friendly colleagues. Private contacts are ok, but some things you should also keep to yourself with good friends.
- What the boss says: Employers can neither ask nor forbid private contacts at the workplace.
- Caution Liebelei: When the border to the private is crossed, it is not far to love any more. Many employers do not like this because of the conflict potential.
- Social Networks: Also pay attention to the fact that you are betraying your work on social networks such as Twitter or Xing - especially if the boss belongs to their friends. But: In particular, Facebook can be adjusted so that not everyone is aware of everything.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Buy a book on the topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want more information? There is also a book, including this text, and you can purchase the book title here directly in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then buy directly on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960206
English version: ISBN 9783965960213 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).