In the first article of this small series, you have learned more about the benefits of our increasing independence in the workplace. The adaptation of the place of work to the type of work makes us more creative, more focused and brings us new inspiration and perspectives.
If you would like to use the advantages of location-independent work, but are still unsure how to implement the "work leave" relaxed, I would like to share below six essential tips that would have helped me with the first job change abroad.
Please organize well!
For: organization is half the rent. After all, it is not only necessary to look for an accommodation, but also to rent it at home (under), insurance must also be clarified, accessibility must be ensured, and a place with good infrastructure must be found.
The most important thing is therefore a very good planning and clarity about how you want to work - alone or together with others? In the city or in a quiet area? Only when you have answered these questions for yourself, you should go to the exact planning.
The concrete preparation in 7 steps
But what does the right preparation look like? I'll help you with a list of the following steps:
- Reduction of personal meetings to work from other places: In the run-up to the first "work leave", it makes sense to get used to colleagues, business partners and customers on phone calls and conversations on Skype. Personal meetings are recommended in regular intervals, but not everything has to be clarified personally and a telephone / video call can save a lot of time.
- Accessibility on a local phone number: I recommend you set up a Voice over IP (VoIP) number in your area code and a local prepaid SIM card with data volume at your whereabouts. You can redirect your handynummer and current landline number to the local number of the VoIP provider (eg Sipgate) and remain so always accessible. The VoIP connection can always be used if you have Internet (Wifi or mobile internet via your SIM card).
- Availability of all important documents: If you have not yet digitized your important documents, I recommend this step before the first "work leave". Observe over a week, which documents you need again and again and scan them. My personal list of the most important documents to be scanned is Tan numbers for banking, tax number, ID / passport, credit card, debit card, vaccination card and foreign travel health insurance.
- Ensuring a good infrastructure: You can use your accommodation to clarify the strength of your Internet connection and mobile coverage in advance. Your landlord should be able to provide information on upload and download speed (for example, for video calls via Skype you need 300kBit / second). Alternatively, you can research in advance Wifi cafes in the area, http://www.wificafespots.com) or co-working spaces (Deskwanted or Coworking News Directory).
- Ensure productivity: They will benefit from new impressions in new places. However, discipline is, of course, also offered. For me personally, it has proven to be useful to organize a fixed daily rhythm. During a stay in southern Spain last winter, I solved it for example as follows: In the morning I took my time for a run by the sea, then I worked until the sunset, which I enjoyed in the bar on the beach. Once or twice a week, I took days off completely to go on exploration.
- Finding the right working atmosphere without being surrounded by tourists: If you like to travel in cities, I recommend local co-working spaces or search for neighborhoods that are rather untouristically (in Barcelona, for example, Grácia). If you want to live and work away from the city, the challenge is greater. Especially if you would like to work with others who work in similar fields.
- To combine accommodation with coworking: There are numerous projects that combine common accommodation with co-working. The goal is to provide an optimal environment for living and working in quiet places like 1-2 weeks. Other initiatives that I have now discovered are for example The Surf Office, Project Getaway or Startups Abroad.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).