In the scary cabinet of feedback
And yet there are many Companyin which topics such as feedback or recognition in employee surveys are rated low. Again and again, I meet managers who feel uncomfortable with feedback ... and again and again employees who are almost afraid of feedback.
For example, true horror stories are told by employees who come to the annual employee interview and only ask, "Where should I sign?", Because they are already so frustrated that they do not want to have a feedback conversation at all.
Or from a lonely mother and marketing manager, where it is not so good at work and at work, which has reached its limit of strain and which gives the boss unquestioned feedback: she should make better make up.
Feedback is a challenge
In a professional environment, there is constructive feedback and, for the most part, a challenge. Both in managing employees, in dealing with colleagues and in communicating with superiors.
Far too often, it is experienced as difficult to implement, both by the feedback givers and the feedback recipients, and therefore avoided or postponed until it sets in the hustle and bustle of everyday work.
Why is feedback avoided?
It starts with the fact that already the definition of feedback is unclear. It ranges from: "Everything that happens between people in communication" to: "What happens in the employee-year conversation is feedback". We speak of positive feedback, constructive criticism and negative feedback.
Why is there no constructive feedback?
Constructive feedback does not usually occur in practice because it
- a. either unpleasant to those involved, to address certain things openly, honestly, and clearly. You do not want to hurt anyone, or you are afraid of a later "counter-attack" (blasphemy, information is no longer given, etc.) or
- b. A guideline "How-we-do-it" is missing and it is unclear to the donor, how he should address the topics constructively.
Feedback on side warriors
The consequences are that one does not give feedback or evades side-by-side scenarios and for safety's sake addresses uncritical ones. "You have a nice smile!"
Frequently, the feedback method is not known or is not applied clean enough. This can lead to personal injury to the recipient, especially if he / she has opened the door beforehand.
Then "giving feedback" will simply abused as a cover-up term to relieve frustration. Anyone who has experienced this as a recipient will always shy away from hearing about feedback in the future.
What is not feedback?
It is easy to start with the demarcation:
- Feedback is not equated with criticism or evaluation.
- Feedback is not always negative.
- Feedback is not a one-way communication à la "What I wanted to tell you for a long time ..."
- Feedback is not a discharge of anger or frustration.
What is feedback?
Feedback is a feedback to behavior, processes, or results that provides the opportunity for positive change, growth, development, and self-awareness.
Why is feedback important?
Constructive feedback - giving and taking - is valuable and important for a variety of reasons. It
- offers personal learning and development opportunities for the recipient.
- strengthens the problem solving capacity of individual and thus of a team and the company.
- contributes to an open, trusting corporate culture and thus strengthens employee loyalty and motivation.
- reduces the risk of misunderstanding or misunderstanding and thus prevents errors.
- strengthens the trust relationship between feedback providers (eg supervisors) and the feedback recipient (eg employees)
- helps in self-assessment: reduces discrepancies between the self-image and the external image (Blinderfleck).
- helps in the planning of professional development.
Open feedback yes, but it needs to be learned
Yes, an open and effective feedback exchange is the key to success in development, growth and change situations.
But it wants to be learned. Without uniform and well-known "feedback rules" it remains spongy for donors and takers and thus unpredictable. This unsettles all parties and can lead to unpleasant experiences.
Therefore, the setting / framework as well as a guideline should be coordinated or elaborated in advance in the team or in the company. It needs a framework and a common guide that is known to all stakeholders.
Then everyone knows how it goes and what he gets into! Under these conditions, feedback can really benefit the individual, the team, and the company.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).