From the author:
If one employee works for the other
Although she regularly surpasses her own goals with much diligence, commitment and dedication. However, this is not much felt by her colleague. Quite the contrary: It creates so little that a part of their jobs must be taken over by the efficient employee - only in this way can all operations in the department be kept going.
An office classic, as it is in the book. But what happens here? On the one hand, workload and pressure accumulate among an employee; she feels abandoned by her colleague.
Understand the employees and their situation
In addition, the lack of understanding of the fact that the salary does not reflect their different use is also likely to grow. Finally, it is quite unjust if both are paid almost equally.
The hard-working employee does not want to drag the colleague along with her. However, until a team member addresses such a problem to their supervisor, the proverbial cask is about to overflow. Who likes to go to the boss to blacken a colleague?
Sincere understanding relaxes the situation
The situation is also difficult for the executive. Perhaps the boss can do little to solve the problem. A good opportunity, however, is offered by the employee discussion, because the overworked team member is given priority.
Depending on the flexibility of the corporate structures, a complaint may actually be an impulse, for example to make the remuneration system more equitable. More relevant to the success and satisfaction of the team, however, is that the supervisor fulfills his role more consistently.
Tips for a more equitable leadership style
However, one thing should be clear: As a boss, you are also partly to blame if the tasks are poorly distributed or below-average performance is compensated by other team members. To prevent this, you should clearly formulate the expectations of individual employees - in the following steps:
- Understanding: Signal a colleague complaining, "I understand your point. I realize that the issue of justice is important to you and I will try to make it happen. "
- Get away from expectations: To understand the employee, however, does not mean to give him the right. Leaders should dissociate themselves from this - as a rule, such a statement only fosters expectations that are not, or are difficult to fulfill.
- Avoid spongy requirements: Say linguistically precise and as concrete as possible, what to do and how you want to see the instructions implemented. With a phrase like, "I expect more quality from you." No employee can do anything. How should he know what quality is for the supervisor?
- Specific instructions: Instead, targets are more likely to be met when the boss instructs, "By the end of the week, I'll need an overview of all channel partners with the following details: xyz. Then we discuss the next steps. "
- Transparent reviews: Create transparent structures to assess employees' performance. It is important that all team members can understand them.
Clarify the company structure
Often, unevenly loaded teams are in Company grown over years, because harmony and solidarity are important values in many companies. However, this makes it difficult to evaluate a work performance even critically - at least when appropriate.
Clear structures and performance assessments make the system more transparent, transparent and fair to all employees. On this basis, supervisors can lead more easily and more consistently.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).