That is why many exhibitors miss the goal
Many exhibitors have no goals for the fair. There is an Olympic idea: “Being there is everything.”, “Because the competition is there, we also go there.” or "We're going there because we've always been there." Very few think about their reasons for participating in the fair beforehand. Things are formulated that are not measurable, such as:
- We want to acquire new customers.
- We want to maintain our regular customers.
- We want to show flag, etc.
These are all desires. It is only when a measurability can be achieved. Why are goals important at the show? Goals give the employees an orientation. In the day-to-day business, the employees do not know whether they should deal first with the existing customer or the new customer. You do not know whether the conversation is to be designed in detail or to be briefly summed up.
4 Tips: Avoid typical mistakes
One of the main mistakes is to equate the priority of consumer protection with the acquisition of new customers. This is comparable to day and night.
If you tell a trade fair architect now that he is to build a test stand for you because of these goals, he does not know what to do.
- A new customer base is barrier-free, open on all sides, there are only standing tables and the length of stay at the stand is minimal. After all, it's only about making a contact, everything else is done in the rework.
- A regular customer base has a completely different structure. As a rule, this is closed on all sides, there are comfortable seating options, an elaborate catering and the regular customer receives a confirmation of purchase there.
- Why do you want to go to the show? Define measurable goals.
- Communicate these to the employees as well, and provide them with appropriate measures.
4 tips: This is how to prepare for a successful trade fair appearance
I will tell you the evening before your first day of the fair whether your trade fair will be a success or not. Why? No, I do not have a glass ball I can look into. Studies have shown that trade visitors are planning 90% of their time in advance.
Concrete appointments are arranged with exhibitors or a trade fair plan is drawn up with the appropriate routes. The visitors that you spontaneously address as an exhibitor, who find their way to your stand due to special exhibits or an exciting show, make up only 10% of the potential for the fair. You won't reach 90% with the tactic "wait for someone to speak to me", although this isn't a tactic either.
Contact the potential customers in advance. Arrange appointments for the fair. Possible steps include:
- A nationwide mailing with response capability.
- A phone call to schedule those who have not answered.
- Confirm the dates in written form.
- The dates at the fair: qualified discussions, which are then documented in a call log.
The post-processing period starts immediately.
The most important thing is that the agreed dates, which you do not have in the calendar before the show, will not save you at the trade fair, no matter how motivated you are.
4 Tips: These are the recommendations for sales managers to optimally control the booth staff at the show.
The complete behavior on the test stand depends on the trade fair objectives. If you want to maintain your regular customers, expect this time, attention, relationship management, appreciation and a purchase confirmation.
- A call duration is 30 to 60 minutes. If your trade fair goals are mainly about existing customers, then you should reconsider your trade fair participation: Is this really the right instrument or the right way? Are there better customer loyalty instruments than talking at the booth? Customer events would be a more appropriate alternative, for example.
- If you are interested in the topic of new customer acquisition, the same applies. Arrange appointments in advance.
- In addition, you may divide your team in Farmer and Hunter. Farmers are those who deal with the relationship care. Hunter are the ones who accept the speech. If necessary, take communicative trainees or office workers who will take over the approach of the visitors to the booth.
- At the same time the visitor is qualified. If it is the right target, he is handed over to the farmer. The farmer informs the customer in detail and usually arranges an appointment.
The times of order fairs are over in most industries. In today's world, trade fairs are mostly used as contact fairs. Here, you qualify your customers, have the potential for your supplier and whether the supplier offers attractive solutions for your customer. Everything else is agreed in subsequent dates.
For a new customer first contact, the call duration of 30 minutes should not be exceeded.
4 Tips: With these steps, you can make buyers after the trade fair
- The first step is to document and record the conversations on the test stand.
- Thereafter, the customer should receive a written conversation confirmation (per eMail, Fax or letter). Here is thanked for the joint conversation, the conversation content will be played again and the next steps, as well as the appointment confirmed.
- Then the work begins after the fair. Here it is important that all involved distributors 4-8 weeks after the fair mark a holiday lock and with appointments for the existing customer care not the calendar ausreizen. But specifically work off the new contacts of the fair.
- The enthusiasm for a trade fair contact is already after a few days. It is therefore crucial to realize the appointment as quickly as possible after the fair.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).