From the author:
Hand on the heart, guidance was never your thing.
Do you remember the time of your career? They chose your subject because you were interested in the content. They saw themselves as inventors, as builders, as solvers. Maximum in a team of pure like-minded people in which it is relaxed and fun and 99,9 percent of all conversations are about your work or other technical topics.
The days pass wonderfully deep in complexity. But in the dream you did not think of dealing with job vacancies, performance reviews, dispute settlement or even “looking after people” at some point. Let alone from “standing in front and swearing in people for a goal”. Devil stuff!
"And suddenly I should bend!"
At some point you have distinguished yourself by your ability to perform and your skills. Or your department has grown strongly thanks to the good order situation. Now the company management wanted to do something good for you and put you at the top of a team. Because only those who have responsibility for personnel and capital can make more money here. By now, you and your boss realized that to lead people is not their thing.
They still sent you to courses and still, but in everyday life you are left alone with your excessive personnel issues. Nobody helps you there and the desire to do so? Well, maybe in the next life. Suddenly you have the feeling: “The way I am, they don't want me anymore. Now I should bend to fit them again. ”
Heads up. Technicians perform differently.
They are only in that position and situation BECAUSE you are as you are. There is no question of bending. You can use what you make cleverly. Be aware: You can arrange everything with your people and your leadership. You only get problems if you dilute these agreements by your own behavior. The sharper your expertise, the more indispensable you are. Make the reason why you chose your profession and you can stay who you are.
- Take a heart and ask people of your trust, both professionally and privately, what you can do well in their eyes and what you should be better off.
- Be honest with yourself and write down the positive and “keep away” areas mentioned and add your own experience with yourself to the list.
- Now it's really getting started: With each of your team, especially with each new one, you sit down in private and tell clearly what you can and can not do. Explain what you see in your job and what expectations you have from your counterpart. And then keep it crystal clear. Everyone knows what he has and what does not. They have agreed the rules of the game and thus smothered the most ambiguity in the bud.
- Ask your team what kind of meetings, frequency, and timing it takes to complete the vote. From this, you create a meeting plan with procedures, meeting moderator, minutesman, and so on.
- The nosewasher on duty is someone else: Brawlers are put into an 4 eye job by you until they have arranged. If that does not work, you will immediately call in a neutral mediator and the cops may agree under six eyes. But if you have a problem with you, you will get an 5 eye conversation within the next 4 days. Make a written agreement on how they will communicate. Stick to it and demand unequivocally compliance. Do this and you will hardly have such conversations.
- Expect solutions. Is someone looking forward to a new education, a longer holiday, etc.? Fine, not your problem. Ask for timely solutions: How is the person concerned affected by the organization of his or her representation, task allocation, accessibility, financing, return, etc.? Make it clear, you only accept feasible solutions that give and take 50 percent. If someone presses and approaches you with too little advance, define the solutions completely. Because of his delay, your opponent has forfeited his fellow-speaking rights. As a rule only such a harsh procedure is necessary.
- Keep your profile sharp. Make it clear to your boss or HR manager what your task is Company see. Any other topics you will treat very rudimentary, so will be on the (personnel) management because tasks. And stick to it. You will not get any problems, you will even be protected if you keep your nose ahead in your core competence. Because only for this your company gets money. However, you get massive problems if you dilute your profile with other topics. With these you only waste your energy and time, while the skins in your core competence swim away. Overnight you are interchangeable.
- Dedicate to at least 80 percent of your time your core competency and increase your expertise. All residual tasks that can not be done in 20 percent of your time leave you mercilessly away. Either there are for these grateful customers or they will have to be created. This only happens if you remain true to yourself. When you bend out of Goodwill, the hellish stories remain forever.
- Get out with you! Moderate stress in much nature strengthens your constitution and your inner attitude. You need to be able to stay who you are. You lift your brain, clear it from useless thoughts, get new ideas, see where you really want to go, and what you better leave behind.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960206
English version: ISBN 9783965960213 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).