Willingness to think about your own leadership
If there is a willingness to reflect on one's own leadership and conflict understanding, the leadership must be aware of what can actually contribute to the success of a new fault culture.
The required model function can only be fulfilled if the executive is convinced inwardly of the aims and advantages of a constructive error culture. To do this, you need to query some learned values.
Detect the status quo
Result of this phase is the statement, how the current error culture in the Company is handled. Most participants at this point in the process are already aware of how much room for improvement there is in this area.
This awareness is already the first step towards change. Only those who are aware of the current weaknesses and the advantages of a change in the course of the trade will understand the new values.
Clear text in the team
Once the causes have been researched and the appropriate measures have been defined, it is necessary to talk to the team in plain text and not to gloss over anything. Missing personal sanctions do not constitute an invitation to make mistakes.
Everyone in the team needs to be aware of the implications of mistakes and the importance of action taken. Each affected person must do his part to a gradual improvement process.
If the mistake is repeated because the measures adopted have not been implemented, the consequences must all be communicated unequivocally.
According to our experience, the rules of the game must be constantly updated and anchored in the consciousness of the employees.
This communication process must be complementary to all other measures. If necessary in the event of a fault, a professional communication to the outside is to be ensured in order to regain any lost trust.
When all measures have been successfully implemented and the guidelines for the future have been determined, it is important to ensure that a mistake is really "ticked off" by all participants.
Creating a positive culture of error
How can a positive culture of mistakes be "created" and integrated into everyday business? First of all, it is crucial to integrate all managers. The first phase of the introduction must be top-down.
Only when all managers are convinced of the meaningfulness of a conscious fault culture, the project has a success.
Understand the values
Company managers must stand behind the concept and internalize the values. This is the only way they can live up to these values and communicate them credibly to the rest of the staff.
Externally moderated events in which all executives are involved have proved their worth. First of all, the principles of the error culture and the integration into the overall corporate concept are explained in such workshops.
12 tips for the success of a new error culture
First and foremost, it requires a rethinking in the assessment of employee misconduct, which is to be expressed through communication:
- Errors do not relate to the person and thus to their self-esteem, but to their actions.
- Errors provide important information for a further development of the company.
- Mistakes change and a higher level of effort - energy that is otherwise wasted on hushing up.
- A false, reckless reaction to an error can lead to lengthy construction work.
- Clear excuses for emotional reactions are required.
- The inadequacy of employees is to be accepted as a fact, the positive must be encouraged, in order to push the negative back.
- The initial action should always be positive or neutral - the focus is on a clear separation between emotion and thing.
- The first question must always be: "Since when do you know about the mistake?" The question of a specific point in time directs the conversation from the emotion to the situation and makes clear that the rapid reporting of errors is at the center.
- The management level must give the employees a certain amount of time to get used to the new rules of the game.
- It has to do some convincing work: what is the benefit of each individual employee from a new fault culture?
- Improvement proposals must be evaluated by the leadership independently of the person and their position in the company.
- Valuable communication is the basic condition - even if the improvement proposal can not be implemented.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).