Even if this simple fact can quickly be overlooked in stressful professional life: bosses are only human. If you as Executive If you want to continuously motivate your employees to achieve high levels of performance, you are well advised to take your humanity into the office as well. We explain why.
High performance & humanity are not mutually exclusive
High performance and humanity are by no means mutually exclusive. Rather, humanity is in Companya crucial requirement for high performance. This method addresses the question under which conditions people in companies are willing to contribute their performance potential on a high level.
This is only possible if employees are treated decently and fairly, that is, humanly. And: There is no need for an elevated index finger and no excursions into morality and ethics. If you want to achieve high-performance on the basis of humanity, consider systematically your own management and business day - and then take a critical look at your own behavior. However, if you are aware of errors in the process in time, you can correct them with little effort and achieve corresponding successes.
3 Tips for optimal leadership
Often they are rather trifles, which run wrong. Therefore, consider these three points:
- For lasting results, high performance and humanity must come together.
- Leadership is of central importance and requires intensive attention, guidance and support from above.
- Executives must exercise their leadership tasks with conscientiousness - not just the tasks of the individual.
Humanity for Employer Branding
Companies are competing more sharply than ever for the best applicants and the most capable employees. The reputation of the company in the labor market becomes a competitive advantage - or in the case of a negative image, the competitive disadvantage. The best candidates today are only attracted by companies with a good or excellent reputation. And only those who treat these "high potentials" decently and fairly and offer them outstanding working conditions can hold them in the company.
It is therefore advisable to consciously deal with one's own employees by personal interest. High performance without humanity does not work. Pressurizing the employees, threatening them with the loss of the job, frightening them: All this creates resistance instead of motivation. Thus, the service comes according to regulations, but in no case to top performances. High performance must emerge from within. The willingness to do so can only be found with motivated employees.
3 Tips for dealing with employees
Top companies want and have to assert themselves in ever-stiffer competition against their competitors. That is why they need high and high performance from their employees. However, lasting success can only be achieved where a human and fair dealings with the employees are accompanied by a high level of motivation.
- Request high performance. Set challenging but achievable goals. This is the "hard" side of leadership.
- Ensure that your employees are treated decently, for a good working environment supported by fairness and respect. This is the "soft" side of leadership.
- Observe both sides equally. Both are important, are placed side by side, and should therefore be balanced. Only when high performance and humanity are in harmony with each other, does this enable long-term employee motivation and lasting success.
3 Tips for dealing with your own strengths & weaknesses
To achieve a corresponding equilibrium is achieved by the few leaders at the outset: As a rule, executives tend to lean on one side or the other - on high performance or on humanity. You too will have your strengths on either side. Therefore the recommendation:
- Be aware of the direction you are targeting, which is your stronger side. Now, try to promote the other side (see below), so that the two are about the balance.
- Do not weaken your strong side to achieve a balance, but strengthen your weak side. This results in a high level of balance.
- Strengthening one's own weaker side, contrary to the personal characteristics, is not easy. It requires discipline and real work. Accept this challenge! You will greatly improve your leadership skills.
3 Tips for more humanity
If your strengths are in the demand for high performance, then you are working on your humanity:
- Involve employees' interests more intensively than before and you have respect for the dignity of each employee.
- Go confidently in advance - with personal honesty and fairness. Most people are decent. Therefore, deal with them decently.
- Make sure your instructions are clear and your responses are predictable. Listen carefully to what employees have to say. If employees disagree or criticize, this may well be justified and should be carefully examined by you.
3 tips for more high performance
Dominating your human side, so encourage your ability to demand high performance:
- Request permanent and above-average performance of your employees. Services must serve the company, the overall interest. Therefore, you should encourage and promote team-oriented achievements, instead of promoting individual ones.
- Make the necessary disputes with unmotivated employees offensive and self-confident.
- Imagine conflicts - even when they are uncomfortable, unpleasant and difficult to solve. This is one of your tasks.
Strengthen the base level
A top company needs outstanding employees. In order to win and retain them, first and foremost, it is necessary to have excellent executives who treat their employees in such a way that they are ready for high performance. Ultimately, the bottom line, the basic management level, is decisive for the leadership quality in the company. After all, it is their representatives who usually have the highest number of employees.
Thus, the basic group leadership of leadership behaves as the largest group of all employees in the company. The basic level of leadership therefore has a decisive influence on the perception of good or bad leadership in the company. The leadership quality of this group has therefore a decisive influence on the mood and motivation of your employees. Companies must therefore pay particular attention to the selection, mentoring and, where appropriate, the training of the lowest managers. This issue requires great attention and careful design.
More information? Take advantage of our e-courses & personal advice