Change in the job market
"Anyone who does not keep up with the times is going with the times." This comment on a blog article from the HR services sector accurately reflects the current situation regarding the labor market. The balance of power between employees and employers is changing and shifting in the direction of the employee.
It is not clear from which individual reasons the situation on the labor market is currently changing. As so often, many aspects come together here: demographic, economic, social and technological, which only then bring about a change in interaction.
Digitization also plays an important role here, as the labor market and employers must adapt to their rapidly changing development. For example, while 1995's share of worldwide Internet users was still 1%, this 2014 increased to 41 times.
Change of values of the applicants
At the moment, Google and Facebook are THE absolute employers. Playground offices, free food, power-napping rooms and many more tantalizing offers are provided by the major corporations. But what the average German candidate today attaches importance to: a good working atmosphere, flexible working hours and an individual work-life balance.
These principles are also part of the social change in the culture of workers. It moves towards the assumption that an employee works more productively and faster when he feels well and is satisfied with his work situation. Of course, this also applies to his future prospects, because an ambitious employee would like to be shown a career perspective by the employer, as it was for him in the Company can go on and what he can achieve. The salary is of secondary importance at this point, it is about the handling of people to humans.
5 tips - that's what candidates should look for
If you are a candidate looking for a modern employer, there are a few things to look out for.
- First of all the research that has to be done on different platforms. On the one hand, one can of course be informed on the company's website and pay attention to the employee friendliness the employer promotes.
- But to actually get reviews and employee reviews, you should not forget forums for employer reviews. With the help of the mixture of the self-portrayal of the company and the subjective experiences of some employees, a rather realistic picture of the corporate culture usually arises.
- The most important part, however, is still the personal conversation. When you apply to a company for your research and are invited to an interview, your own impression of the people, the environment, and the general atmosphere counts.
- Furthermore, at such an appointment, especially if a brief tour of the company is made in this course, you can pay attention to many little things. For example, whether the workstations are ergonomic or by what means the physical and health welfare of the employees is respected.
- What is also important is the communicative interaction between the superior and the employee, as well as between the employees.
Another problem for employers is the willingness to change employees. Above all, young employees only spend an average of 12 months in a company at the beginning of their working lives, and 57% of all Germans can imagine switching employers.
The crucial consequence that employers can make from such numbers is to create loyalty. A change of company has become easier and socially accepted in recent years, so you have to bind your employees emotionally to the company or to certain leaders.
Transparent corporate culture
One big point about how loyalty can be achieved is the change in the corporate hierarchy. The top-down system is outdated here, a modern employer should be able to offer flat hierarchies and show a general transparency.
For example, the numbers that are negative for the company should also be made accessible, and promotion prospects should also be discussed. In summary, these aspects mean a cooperative leadership of the employer, which then leads to loyalty among the employees.
As an employee, you are in a good position in the current market situation. Professionals are desperately wanted and many employers make every effort to make their company attractive. Be it through general transparency, rapid career advancement, flexible working hours or the possibility of a home office.
But what counts is that you find the company that suits your personality, because every employee sets different priorities and has individual requirements for his job.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).