Why trust is important
Confidence-building and motivational measures are extremely important to increase the loyalty and commitment of your employees and thereby generate better performance. The ability to build trust and motivation among employees is key to senior executives
The success of every company, every organization, also depends on whether all stakeholders can be confident that each and every one of them will work within the scope of their common goals - including supervisors.
How to establish trust
If this trust is disturbed, the motivation decreases. On the other hand, if there is a stable and bilateral trust base, it is easy to motivate employees. As a leader, you need at least a minimum of confidence to be able to lead and manage successfully: Only then can you delegate tasks reliably. Only employees who identify with their tasks make sure that details are also handled personally.
Three steps are important:
- build up trust
When it has to go fast
What matters is that you as a manager should have the honest personal willingness to openly and openly oppose your employees. If one has established a stable relationship of trust between oneself and others over the years, one often instinctively succeeds in providing additional motivation with his view of things.
You can not wait for it in business. For example, if you're new to a Company or join a team or hiring new employees themselves, the following steps will help you to establish a trusting and motivating situation in a timely manner.
Build Trust - 8 Tips
If you feel that an employee is facing you insecure or even suspicious, confidence-building measures help to achieve a constructive co-operation. Follow the instructions below.
- Take the first step: This includes providing your employees with information about their workspace.
- Grant a trust: Grant a trust advance to those employees who are still unknown to you. After all, it can only be yours: the risk is comparatively low for you, but your employees are dependent on you.
- Be predictable, consistent, fair and polite: This is important in every phase of a trusting relationship. If employees know that you will remain moderate even in difficult situations, they will also consult you in the event of a problem as soon as possible. In this way, errors can be remedied before they have grown undetected to the crisis.
- Leave your employees free space: This mainly affects workflows, as long as the result is not endangered. This may, for example, refer to the sequence of certain work steps, or to the timeframe in which a project is to be completed.
- Behave credibly: Employees register it negatively if commitments do not follow any deeds. If it is not possible for you to comply with your commitments, then explain the reasons that led to this situation.
- Take time for discussions with your employees: This is especially true if an employee is consulting you about a problem: then, sincerely try to help him. Signal that you have the interest and well-being of your employees in mind - and not just the company's profits.
- Listen to the opinions of your employees: If possible, always listen to the opinions of your employees before making any decisions. Do not decide against the opinions of your employees without factual reasons.
- Ensure reasonable working conditions: decent office equipment, no overcrowding of rooms, access to a kitchenette, water and, if necessary, soft drinks. This sounds almost banal, but it is a central aspect. If employees have to deal with poor working conditions without comprehensible reasons, their trust in the management and their representatives is impaired.
If employees have proactively approached you - whether with questions, suggestions, problems or ideas - then this is a clear indication that a trust has formed. After such experiences, keep a brief thought: Be aware that you have achieved a real success at this point!
Receive Trust - 8 Tips
Once the trust has grown, the second step is at least as important as the first: Maintain this precious asset! Getting an initial trust in an unloaded constellation is much easier than rebuilding a once-destroyed trust.
- Avoid gossip: Do not listen to what employees talk about each other. And all that you have been told in confidence, you should absolutely keep to yourself!
- Be open to criticism: Criticism, formulated directly towards you, can certainly be a sign that someone has trusted you. A repellent reaction could shatter that confidence. Even if you can not agree for objective reasons, recognition is required: "I am glad that you express this legitimate objection. I have already thought about it. Ultimately, however, I deliberately chose this path for the following reasons: ... "
- Stand to your overall responsibility: If an error has occurred, it must not initially matter who caused it. Overall responsibility always lies with the management. Therefore, in case of damage first applies: Protect yourself from your team and make the criticism from third parties not unchecked own: "I will consult with my team."
- Discuss mistakes in private: Of course mistakes are to be made. Nobody likes to be dismantled - and shame is not a good basis for successful work. The course of the conversation about individual mistakes should therefore be constructive and not start with a reproach. In the first instance, please ask the employee's opinion.
- Take suggestions seriously: Even if they seem absurd to you at first. Anyone who expresses an idea deserves recognition for this initiative, even though it may not be feasible at first: "That's a good idea. Nice that you have thought about our project. We should consider this proposal. I'll come back to you then. "Keep your word and give feedback on occasion:" That was a nice idea, but unfortunately it is currently not feasible. "Of course there should be positive feedback when a proposal is realized "It was a great idea that we're going to implement now - and I'm well aware of who we owe it to."
- Answer questions: Who asks, shows a knowledge gap - and thus usually reveals a certain weakness. But at the same time, this is also a sign of confidence that absolutely requires a positive reaction. Answer the question in a friendly and reassure yourself: "Could I answer your request or are there any outstanding issues? I'm glad you asked your question in advance, otherwise there might have been misunderstandings in the process. "
- Avoid excessive control: Control questions the relationship of trust. It will be more helpful if you clearly communicate to your staff what your expectations are and provide them with a timetable or similar self-regulatory mechanisms, as appropriate: "I would like to ask you to complete Project XY to .... This means that the end of the following week, the first phase must be completed, a week later then the second phase. Please orient yourself and let me know immediately if this plan can not be adhered to. "
- Appreciate the insider knowledge of your employees: Sometimes it is necessary to access the know-how of external consultants. But this should not prevent you from having to ask ideas in staff circles as well. In this way, you show your team a clear appreciation and thus strengthen a trusting base from which the company can only profit.
Whether employees trust you, you will notice, for example, whether they are quiet, open and relaxed in conversation, or are even looking for the conversation themselves. When employees tell a personal story here and there, they have a strong confidence in them. Now your attention is in great demand! The more you can assess the personality of your employees and their interests, the easier it is for you to find individual motivation incentives for your employees.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).