First shock after the election result
"For many Americans the election result was a shock. The first impulse was the escape of many,
says Jed Kolko, ChefEconomist of the us job page Indeed. In fact, after the announcement of the election results, the Canadian Immigration Department collapsed. Months ago, "How to move to Canada" had been a popular Google search term.
Increased demand for jobs in Canada
But that is not enough, of course, the many Canadians in spe also somewhere work. That's why we were asking what the situation looks like. And indeed, on the side of Indeed, there is now a significant increase in demand from the USA to Canada.
Although there is always a certain transfer of workers from the US to Canada: in the hours after Trumps official election victory, Americans were looking ten times more for jobs in Canada than normally. Once again Jed Kolko:
Of course, it is much too early to say how the job search behavior will develop after the first shock. But the sudden rise shows: Many Americans were surprised by Trump's election victory and think about opportunities outside the country.
How will the trend develop?
It remains to be seen how the job and migration trend will develop from the USA to Canada. In particular, the following questions arise:
- How does Canada react to the sudden migrations of so many Americans?
- How many people can and want to take Canada?
- How many people are in the end actually changing?
- Which jobs and industries do the Americans particularly ask?
- In contrast, which jobs and industries are particularly sought in Canada?
- What qualifications are necessary?
- Are other countries also eligible for migration?
More information? Take advantage of our e-courses & personal advice