Time is money. For Company, Workers and even students. It means saving time with suitable techniques - eg when reading. Kristine Arndt visited the seminar "Effizienter Lesen" exclusively for Best of HR - Berufebilder.de and writes about her experiences.
Writing for you:
5 tips for fast reading
The term "seminar success" is of course very individual in a course of this kind. Nevertheless, in my course, all participants give good Feedback, And I have to say that my expectations were exceeded. Of course, there was already prior knowledge, but also a lot of new knowledge.
- Looking ahead. Anyone who clears up before the first lines, which section the text belongs, and what the core issue could be, reads more efficiently.
- Reading in meaning groups. Instead of word by word, the brain is also able to capture whole sense groups. This technique not only increases the reading speed, but also the concentration.
- Man standing in the ear. The inner voice binds forces, because whoever responds, even if it is silent, is automatically slower.
- Read and understand. First comes the reading, then the understanding. If you want to do too much at the same time and then quickly, you are overwhelmed.
- Reading position. It is always advisable to take an upright position to promote concentration. Also, the paper should be between 30 and 40 centimeters away, a screen about 70 centimeters away. This relieves the eyes.
Away from unnecessary perfectionism
At first I wondered if anything could get stuck when reading fast. To what extent is it possible to practice a new way of reading within two days? I must say surprised: Yes, that is possible. However, applying this in everyday life is a completely different question ...
First, one should break away from the claim to understand everything immediately 100%. This is not possible even with slow reading. And if you read fast, many participants - and I agree with them - did not have much of an understanding at the beginning. But the subconscious, somehow, had absorbed the knowledge. The control questions were certainly no problem.
Afterwards, it is as always: it takes time for new procedures to become habitual. I also need to focus, consciously choose, I want to apply the learned. Of course, I no longer have a comparative value, because no one stops the time, but I still feel more effective reading.
Whether the course is worth its proud price of something about 400 EUR, I see something skeptical. Finally, in my opinion, knowing that you can search through books and on the Internet was sold very well.
The advantage of a course is however clear: the fixed attendance times and a lecturer, which compels you to complete the exercises. So you can not cheat yourself, and is forced to read quickly.
More information? Take advantage of our e-courses & personal advice