"Nobody is a human expert"
However, in order to check whether the applicant is suitable, it is not enough to have a nice chat with each other. This results in the end only the promise, because the applicant also likes to eat Weisswurst. The central component of the interview should rather be the verification of the fit between the candidate and the specific body. An effective requirement analysis is essential for this.
"Nobody is a human expert". This statement by Alfred Sloan (for many years CEO of General Motors (GM)) should, in my view, heed every leader. Because we all feel more or less the feeling that we have "a good hand" in the selection of employees. Unfortunately, that's just a feeling.
Reality and wishful thinking
The large number of problematic occupations shows that even though someone "had a good feeling" (otherwise the employee would not be in the company or in his present position), unfortunately the reality does not correspond to the wishful thinking.
"If you do not know what you are looking for, you will find everything (or nothing)". Unfortunately, we often take too little time in our leadership role to clearly determine what position is required. Only if we have a clear requirement profile - "clear" does not mean "consuming" - are we able to check candidates for the appropriate fit.
The good requirements analysis - that's how it works
The following scheme is very pragmatic and efficient in order to really find application in everyday business. It is important that the position and activity is started, not with the description of the behavior or any Success Factors from current or former position holders. If we have concrete persons in mind when defining the requirements, these images can lead us in the wrong direction.
- Define goals: Identify the goals to be tracked by the position. Ask yourself the following question: "Why do we take so much money to fill this position?" The answers to it: "It is to be achieved that ...", "It should be ensured that ..." Per position you will be able to extract about 3-5 position targets.
- Describe core tasks: In the next step, core tasks are then extracted for each position target 4-6. These are essential and necessary tasks, which must be fulfilled by a person in order to achieve the respective position goal. It is important that you describe what needs to be done. The description is given in the scope of activity, not in property statements.
- Derive requirements: In the third step, we now derive the requirements, that is, the things that somebody wants and needs to do in order to do the defined tasks well and reach the position goals safely. The distinction between aspects of ability and willingness is important because these aspects must be questioned differently in the interview and selection process. We do not have most problems with employees because someone can not do something, because the problem is still relatively easy to overcome through qualification and training. Really difficult and much more demanding for the management task, if an employee can do things, does not want to show us this "trick" because of his various personal motives. Precisely these facets of behavior have to be examined in advance, because they often show real problems: "We hire them for their competencies, we fire them for their personality".
- Execution: This 3 step model of requirement definition, defined above, may seem expensive at first glance. However, the time to perform well is no more than one to one and a half hours, even in demanding positions.
The advantages of the requirements analysis once again at a glance:
In order to make the requirements analysis successful, it is important to recall its advantages:
- Have a clear picture of the spot in your mind: You know exactly what you are looking for and can clearly tell the internal service providers (HR or HR) what you expect from the candidates.
- Know where to cut back: You can certainly compromise. Candidates who meet the requirement profile for 100 percent are very rare anyway. But you can and should pinpoint exactly where you compromise and use skills to help mitigate your deficits right from the start.
- Multiple applicability: You can use this once-done work for both internal induction and career development plans. But even potentially interested internal candidates can be so clearly structured and substantiated that they have come into question for the defined position - or why not yet.
- Ensure comparability of interviews: This work is the preliminary work for a structured interview guide. For one of the most problematic sources of error in the Interview procedure is the fact that interviews - although one and the same position - are often conducted very differently depending on their own condition, time of day or sympathy. Therefore, then can not win a clear picture of the candidates. Because I do not just change the candidates, but also the measuring instrument (my interview). Nothing comparable can result from these measurements.
Try this procedure once. From my own experience I can confirm - it is worth it!
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).