How to start a successful online shop?
Online shops everywhere - and there are more and more. Online trading has long been dominated by giants such as Amazon or eBay. How should one be successful in eCommerce? The answer is: Find a niche that is not yet occupied.
This sounds simpler than it is. The art is to find a specific topic, which is still not very competitive on the market, but the customer circle is nevertheless large enough to generate enough revenue.
5 Tips for the appropriate niche
Finding a niche can thus quickly become a difficult tightrope walk, which is however facilitated by a few tricks.
- Become an expert: First, the product should have something to do with the shop owner himself, this should ideally be even expert in this field. The background to this is that a contact person who has a real grasp of the topic can generate more trust among potential customers and provide them with better advice.
- Your own blog: As an expert, answering customer queries is one thing, but it is even better to make this expertise public: helpful is a blog of your own, in which you always report about new products and stories. A blog is also a helpful SEO measure.
- Storytelling helps: Storytelling is the magic word. Nowadays, flat marketing is less and less effective, consumers also want to be touched emotionally and invest in social responsibility. Anyone who is passionate about a topic and makes that passion public is much easier to convince potential customers.
- Social responsibility: Not a few successful eCommerceCompany - there are also some of our example companies - do not just offer products, but also support social projects such as Fair Trade.
- The product depends on: The best marketing does not help however, if the product in the eyes of the customer is nothing good. Because customers are only willing to spend money on products if you do not get them anywhere else. The ideal products are the products that the customers always need. In addition, it can increase sales to create an assortment of additional products around the actual product.
5 successful online shops
These 5 tips seem to have heeded the following five examples. An overview of 5 successful niche ideas from designer fashion to signs to dog biscuits:
- Rebelle: The Hamburg-based Cécile Gaulke wanted to sell some designer clothes online after several moves to sell profitably. In one research, however, she found only American, but not a German platform for the sale of used designer fashion - and developed the idea of Rebelle. Meanwhile, the company has expanded into 25 countries, took over a direct competitor and plans to continue to grow.
- Signage Shipping: Individual signs of all kinds, for example for the premises, in buildings, for street or for machines are the metier of sign shipping. The social entrepreneurial approach is uncommon: the company uses eco-electricity and donates social and ecological projects from every incoming online order in 0,50 € through betterplace.org.
- Bonsum: Bonsum is a sustainable online shopping search engine that rewards its customers with a responsible sourcing bonus program. The goal is to promote long-term sustainable consumption by allowing customers to convert bonus points that they receive for their purchases into shopping vouchers or donate to social enterprises and afforestation programs.
- Dog's Deli: Friederike Friedel was actually an architect until she got herself a dog. At the dog school, she notices a gap in the market - the lack of healthy dog snacks for which keepers spend a lot of money - and simply bakes their own dog biscuits without preservatives or flavors. The idea for Dog's Deli was born.
- Beamershop24: Christoph Hertz already started 2001 with the sale of beamers. 2004, he founded Beamershop24, 2005 then the Celexon umbrella company to sell accessories such as canvases, ceiling brackets or presentation furniture. Today, the company has around 600.000 customers and has twelve stationary distribution partners and eight subsidiaries in other European countries.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960268
English version: ISBN 9783965960275 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).