Dual study as a recruiting and retention tool
The demand for dual study programs is increasing - on the side of Company and with freshmen. 2013 around 21.000 young people have started a dual degree. Until 2030, this number is expected to increase to 38.000 per year, according to a recent extrapolation from the Bertelsmann Stiftung.
In today's "War for Talents", the competition for the best minds, employers can score points with their dual studies. The concept is based on a regular change between practical phases in the company and theory phases at the university.
Interlock theory and practice
This combination of practice and bachelor's degree is very attractive to many young people. Not only in sectors such as tourism, where classical education has lost its appeal and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find qualified applicants, we have very good experiences with the dual study program.
Other sectors of the economy, such as marketing, logistics and health management, are now benefiting from dual study offerings. Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) usually have to manage with few resources for personnel development and employer branding. In these cases, the dual degree program offers clear advantages from recruiting to employee retention.
Matching between candidate and company
What many companies do not realize is that some universities also help companies recruiting. You can do a lot of work for SMEs. Here it is worth asking: Some universities are exclusively concerned with the academic education of "Stuzubis", as the dual students are also called because of the combination of study and practical training. Others, such as the IUBH, take on the role of HR specialist and help specifically in the selection of dual students.
In the matching process, the study advisors of the university apply the framework conditions and the background of the company in order to find a qualified and above all suitable candidate. If a family-run hotel needs a successor in the long term, the university is looking for a life-oriented, appropriately ambitious student who can and wants to grow into this role.
"Stuzubis" offer practical know-how adapted to the company
Another key advantage for SMEs: the study concept is very practice-oriented. Employers thus benefit from the know-how of "Stuzubis", which is tailored to the company, the processes and workflows. As part of their dual study, students devote themselves to work-related questions for which there is often a lack of capacity and time in the day-to-day work of an SME, for example: Is our inventory system the right one? Does online marketing have potential for our company? What are the strengths and weaknesses of our competitors?
The "Stuzubis" are not apprentices, but can be entrusted with more complex tasks due to their knowledge from the study. For companies, this not only pays off during their studies. Because when they take over the employees, long training periods and often high starting salaries for other university graduates are eliminated.
Introduction of the dual study: checklist for SMEs
Companies interested in the dual training model should clarify the following questions. If they can not find the answer on their own, they can go directly to a university offering a dual degree program, as most of them also consult employers.
- Does the dual study fit into our company structure and our personnel development strategy?
- Do we have the human resources to train and accompany dual students?
- How can we cushion the absence of dual students (study / examination phases)?
- Are we in a position to offer them an attractive take-over offer, that is to say, to bind the two students to us?
- Which university in our area offers dual courses of study that are relevant to us?
- How is the quality of study and the university secured? Is the degree in Germany fully accredited and (also internationally) recognized? What awards does the respective dual university have?
- What do graduates and company partners say about the universities? Do you recommend the university?
- Are my questions to the university answered promptly and competently by specific contact persons and supervisors?
- Will I be advised and supported by the university concretely, eg. Eg recruiting the "Stuzubis"?
- Does the university provide opportunities for exchange and networking with other companies that employ dual students?
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).