Tobi Schlegl - or we are just too used to careers
Recently, the story of TV host Tobias Schlegel went through the press, which abandoned his well-paid job at the cultural magazine aspect to become paramedics.
He justified the self-imposed career break with the fact that he wanted to do something socially relevant. The decision was a big surprise - it shows how much we are used to always making one career move after the next.
Business career is not always the best
Because the common maxim is: "Make a career!". She keeps cheating on us from books, the media and self-proclaimed career experts. However, career advancement is not always personal progress: private life, which is actually important, often suffers. And not everyone was born to be a boss. Isn't it better to give up being a boss?
One of the main reasons that speak against the rise: boss can be lonely. Because for many employees, sharing team experiences and working together with colleagues are just the positive aspects of their job. All in all, however, this friendly relationship often falls by the wayside if one is suddenly promoted:
From the specialist in the management days
I am thinking of a friendly programmer who had developed software programs for his company over the years. Because of his professional leadership skills, he now has to deal with budget questions and key figures and make unwelcome personnel decisions - a task that no software can take from him.
Most of the time, however, he suffers from the loneliness that his new job entails. When he enters the room, the conversations are silenced, he often sits alone in the canteen, and he has not been invited as a chef for a long time. His clear conclusion: Career makes lonely.
Envy and loneliness
After all, former colleagues are envious that the other is being promoted. On the other hand, the tasks and sometimes even the character change in the management role:
Suddenly one has to judge the former colleagues, maybe even friends, fairly, but sometimes hard; This may mean telling them openly that benefits are not enough and may even dismiss people who do not provide the required service. No wonder that one quickly becomes unsympathetic among colleagues.
Not everyone is suitable!
However, the rise to the executive level often also involves representative tasks. Instead of dealing with one topic in a thematic manner, it is suddenly necessary to engage in small talk, to make big speeches and that Company to represent to the outside. So much self-presentation overwhelms so many who have been accustomed to rolling files or programming software in the quiet office - I only think of convinced perfectionists who generally do not feel comfortable with such things.
Another aspect is that the ascent to the boss's days is often associated with a higher expenditure of time - and private life usually suffers considerably. Ultimately everyone must know for themselves what their career and money are worth. It is no shame to decide otherwise if one does not meet one or other reason of the task.
10 Career Avoidance Tips
Let us summarize: to be boss, to get on, to make a career, that sounds good for the first time: after more money, more power, more prestige, etc. The thing has however also many disadvantages:
More responsibility, more stress, less time for family and friends, stress and envy of colleagues. Sometimes it can make sense to ask: Do I even want this? Here are 10 good reasons to answer “No”.
- You are already doing what you do best: You are good at your job and do what you like: why do you want to change that and take driving responsibility?
- Teamplayer instead of lone fighters: Do you like your colleagues and would like to work with you? Keep in mind that as a boss, you often have to make solitary decisions - and that means: end with funny
- Well planned is half won! You are offered a leadership assignment, but you do not feel prepared: consider whether you feel really fit or whether it is a jump into the cold water.
- Good boss, bad boss: You want to do good, that is understandable: But as a boss, you also have to take unpleasant decisions and communicate to the employees: Think about whether you feel really up to it!
- Load on the shoulders: If everything is going well, the boss is fun, but if it goes wrong, the boss has to bear the entire responsibility - this can become a problem.
- Leisure adé: With friends evenings a beer, the weekend belongs to the family? As a boss it is often no longer there. Is this worth your job?
- Stress and claims: If you have management tasks, you must always have an overview. In order to make decisions, you have to acquire facts, rules and rules, and always be ahead of your employees. Do you feel like it?
- Hire and fire: According to surveys, executives are the most difficult to dismiss employees. But this unwilling task would also be part of it: do you feel like it?
- Beware of envious people: He who ascends has fewer and fewer friends. But the more enemies that whet the knife. Do you really want to live like this?
- Help, Smal Talk! Being a boss also means having to sing at every opportunity: whether it's smal talk on festive occasions, presentations or big speeches: That's not for everyone! Consider if it is yours!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).