Strategies against fears
In particular, the avoidance strategy is dangerous. Because the fear remains or even becomes stronger, because the experience that the fear is inappropriate for the situation, is avoided. Just as bad are the strategies: narcotics, leaking into the cold water, distracting from fear or hiding the fear, because even these do not help against the fear itself - not even the method "jump into the cold water", the occasional classic is considered, because here the fear is controlled only with effort, but not dissolved.
There are various techniques that can help to reduce anxiety and, in the best case, even resolve it. We would like to take a closer look at the following techniques:
The cinema phobia technique  is based on the fact that in many fears an inner Horrorfilm runs, which intensifies the fear. If you could change your inner film, your reaction to your film would be different and would not lead to fear. In the case of ski racers you can often observe, as already mentioned above, before the start, as they wiggle with their eyes closed and wiggling the track as an inner film. Do you think one of these racers is about to overthrow? No certainly not! Do they sometimes crash? Yes of course.
- Step: Let your fear movie run off. Imagine, you would observe yourself from the outside. Ie. You watch as you watch your fear movie sitting in the cinema.
- Step: Change the movie z. Other colors, other music, etc. Now let the movie change from the point where you are confronted with fear. Let this movie run to the point where you are safe again. Freeze this final scene as a freeze frame.
- Step: Now let the film run backwards in time-lapse, ie in about one or two seconds: Begin with the still image. Repeat this step twice.
- Step: Now test your original movie and see if your fear is still there. If this is the case, repeat the steps from step 1.
Another technique for dealing with anxiety is the so-called knock technique , a self-acupuncture without needles. An important founder of this technique is the American psychologist FRED GALLO. There are a number of explanations for the effectiveness of the knocking technique. At this point, we consciously do without these explanations because the presentation of all explanatory approaches would take up a lot of space. Our appeal at this point is: try the technique and see if it works for you. This will help you to assess whether knocking is useful or not.
- Step: Name your anxiety and determine your intensity on a scale from 0 to 100%.
- Step: Tap the "karate point" (the point on the edge of the hand, just below the little finger) with about 4 beats per second and say three times in a row loudly or in thought "I totally accept myself, even if I ...". Here you supplement your concrete fear.
- Step: Now, remember to continue with the problem as you tap your acupuncture points in the order shown in the figure below. In each case, a brief reminder phase is inserted at each acupuncture point in which you speak or think a word or a short statement about the solution of your anxiety.
- Step: Now think about the scary situation and name the intensity on a scale from 0 to 100%.
1. Norbert Preetz: Never again fear: To solve anxieties in minutes, publishing success and health, 2015
2. Doris Wolf: Understanding and Overcoming Fear, PAL Publishing Company, 2016
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).