Do digital solutions help with the transfer of knowledge?
Can employees share their knowledge comprehensibly without neglecting their own work? The general assumption is: no! Too often, transfer of knowledge is complex and ineffective.
Most of us have problems with providing information effectively for the team. Knowledge about processes is usually spontaneously interrogated, always when a problem is discovered or changes are made. Then the queries rush to me as an experienced staff and I have to give on all fronts at the same time solutions and feedback.
3 Requirements for digital success
The IT industry has reacted to this problem and brought software onto the market with which knowledge of business processes can be digitally recorded and made available when required. Just how effective are these systems? Do they help the company and are we employees willing to invest work in the provision? The success of this is due to a few prerequisites:
- Simple creation: the retention of knowledge must not cost the “trainer” a lot of time.
- Easy access: Trainers and participants do not experience any inhibitions when accessing the content.
- Active company culture: trainers and participants keep the exchange of knowledge together.
Keeping knowledge digital and leaving it to the participant when it retrieves the information is coming. Often, a company chooses a platform on which I can convert my material into online training. If you do not have experience in the field of coursework, you will quickly feel frustrated by such technical terms.
"Conversion" - what does that mean? Fortunately, technology is becoming increasingly user-friendly. Today, any layperson can make a film or create a website. So I, as an employee, can also become a “trainer” without having to give extensive training.
Conversion then means that I upload a PowerPoint presentation or a PDF document and convert it into a course structure. With multimedia and questions enriched, this results in an interactive learning environment with the relevant information.
5 Tips for the exchange of knowledge on the same level
- People like to learn in their own time, in order to understand and remember the contents correctly. The last point can be limited, because today it is not absolutely necessary to remember every detail. If I know where information is collected, I can always go back there. The willingness to regularly retrieve online trainings and to expand knowledge, however, must be given. Therefore, it is imperative that the learning environment is intuitive and free of technical hurdles.
- In addition, content should be user-friendly. Learning and development experts speak of “microlearning”, the more effective learning in small bites. However, I find it too much to ask that as a “lay trainer” I should professionally divide content into didactically valuable snacks. Rather, I would like to leave it to the participant to interrupt training when attention wanes. The key word here is: on-demand. What has become established in the streaming area also does when it comes to learning Sense, because we place increasing value on flexibility and self-determination.
- Continuing exchange of knowledge only works if my company has a culture that allows feedback and teamwork. As a supervisor, it is important that my employees trust themselves to ask questions. Some feel more comfortable when they can do that digitally, and I answer in my own time.
- But also feedback on the training is important to me. Employees appreciate the participation in the product and are happy to upload suitable documents and to supplement their own experiences. The younger generations want a teamwork feeling in the company; and this feeling should definitely support the joint training platform.
- Management staff often find it difficult to give up their “sovereign position” and to view their knowledge as a common good. However, disclosing the knowledge rarely leads to a loss of authority, because the knowledge gained does not qualify for a higher position. Rather, it is the confident handling of knowledge and the ability of team members to make knowledge-based decisions that ensures the success of a project.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).