Interview - second part
Many applicants make the mistake of completely underestimating interviews - especially when there is a second interview and the first one went well. Even if the decision-maker gave his basic “go” in the first interview, nothing is ultimately decided. The real thing is only in the second interview.
Then all parties have slept another night over the conversation - or two. Of course they also have their role in the game again Company thinking. And confront with unexpected criticism. In individual cases, this may look like this, for example:
Situation completely underestimated
You should develop a concept for a campaign. Ironically for a zero-eight-fifteen shower gel! Within a few hours! You are completely off track. You read the input that the assistant presents to you, but do not take a word of it. Everything you had prepared, salary requirements, negotiation strategy - everything for the cat?
A very classic case of “situation completely underestimated”. No wonder, after all, as a job seeker you are currently swimming on a wave of success. Anyone who has managed to convince in the sales talk and make a second appointment can first pat themselves on the shoulder.
Cope with objections
But then stop? Bad idea. Because the second conversation is not the “little brother” of the first conversation, in which “only” it is clarified which company car you get. On the contrary: this is where the real work comes in.
Because after the first euphoria come the concerns. If you are not prepared for the objections, they seem razor-sharp. In fact, they are pretty dull - no injury to you. You just need to know how to handle it.
There is a message behind each “No”
A little harder is a “no”, a classic rejection. And now? You don't have to accept that either, you can skillfully parry it. At the core, behind each “No” is a statement, a message about how you tick towards each other. As long as you don't look behind the statements, the “No” of your counterpart is like a wet bar of soap.
To progress, you have to overcome the fear of a no. Imagine a soccer game and it's about getting the ball. And just play around the enemy. Perhaps this will also help job seekers to lose a little fear of objection. Because apparently this is a huge hurdle for many: worrying about a no. Cheating someone. To be rejected.
This is the only way you can react correctly to the NO. Yes, of course, nobody likes rejection at first. But sometimes we hear a no where there is none. Maybe my counterpart's no is not a no. It depends on the perception. This is something that job seekers should absolutely internalize: what looks like a no could well be a maybe. Or even a yes - just well camouflaged. Objections are part of the game. They are an invitation to you to respond
7 Typical objections and the best reactions
In order to dispel an objection, you need to know what is behind this “bullshit”. Because your counterpart doesn't just pick up on these phrases and standard announcements. Protective claims are often used to keep your conversation partner away from work. Here are 7 typical objections that you may face - and how you will respond:
- "I have no time.": Total nonsense. Everyone has 24 hours a day time, no one just 23. To be precise, your conversation partner does not want to take the time, because your concern does not seem important to him. This is exactly the starting point for a successful conversation.
- “Only with a university degree. Only with certificate. ”: A certificate creditor! Here is just a lot of understanding for the need for security and for an employee who is an absolute professional - that is you.
- "Contact the Human Resources Department": There is a responsible department for each task. And for each request only one solution. So someone thinks that is absolutely necessary to adhere to the internal rules. From his point of view, you want to circumvent the rules - clearly that your concern first provokes natural skepticism!
- “This is only possible online. Please use the form on our website. ”: Puh, a very modern, who believes, just because the possibilities of digitization exist, they must also use. Thank God you are a bit more modern.
- "Send me your resume.": Someone wants you out of the line quickly to be able to devote his ultrawichte tasks. Very dutiful - but you do not stop him at all, but make life easier for him later, as an employee.
- “You are the fifth person to call today.”: Someone is visibly annoyed. He may have exaggerated in number, but still feels bothered by the "intruders". So far, there has probably been no one among the callers who has promised him real added value. It is different with you.
- “That would be unfair to the other applicants.”: Probably an agency or company where "diversity" and "equal treatment" are part of the guideline. Everyone is terrified of discriminating against someone and therefore being held accountable later. If you have someone on the phone for whom absolute equal treatment is essential, you will probably bite on granite. But maybe it's just an objection to get you out of line. Ask for.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960404
English version: ISBN 9783965960411 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).