Data Analysis - Most Wanted 2017 Skills
Data analysis and visualization include 2017 as one of the ten most sought-after skills among employers. This is the social network LinkedIn 2017 calculated on the basis of surveys.
Many would like to do an appropriate training or further education, but corresponding offer are unfortunately still quite rare. It only helps to adapt the skills themselves in self-government.
7 steps to the data pro
Here are seven tips on how you can develop yourself to the data specialist without great effort:
- Use self-service tools: Working with data is already the order of the day in many companies. In order to evaluate data, you do not need to be a statistician or data scientist. Modern self-service tools help you to easily analyze your data and visually prepare it. You can train in such training courses. On the net there is also free help - in the form of training videos and blogs.
- Improve analytical skills: Just as important as the safety in using technical tools are corresponding personal competences. If you get used to critical thinking and analytical curiosity, you will be able to draw more from the existing data - and of course improve your own soft skills.
- Ask questions: Questions are an important prerequisite for analytical thinking. Only through specific questions to the data can this gain insights. With the help of interactive data dashboards, you can ask questions to the data live and in collaboration with your colleagues and answer them in real time. The answers to the original questions often reveal completely new aspects that lead to new insights. The method of "5 questions", developed by the Japanese Sakichi Toyoda, can help: Here, each response is responded to with a new "why" - until you get to the root of the problem.
- Facts instead of feeling abdominal: Your supervisor asks you for your opinion on a topic? Then do not lead your answer by saying "I feel like ...". Sovereign and competent acts a data-driven answer - such as: "My data tell me that ...".
- Practice creates masters: The Internet provides an almost unlimited amount of freely available data that you can use to experiment and visualize. Free tools such as Tableau Public also allow you to make your own data and visualizations available for download or to save them as a link in personal profiles -Casting insert.
- Enter with entertaining data: When you go into data analysis, you start with data on entertaining issues, such as the question of whether movies are getting better and better with the growing experience of the directors (see graphic). Simple records and fun on the subject provide faster initial success.
- Learn from the community: Feedback is important. On the Internet, you will find other newcomers, as well as professionals, with whom you can network and share information. Also relevant blogs - for example the visualization adviser of Andy Cotgreave - help you overcome initial hurdles.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).