Communication behavior: women are different - men too
Men, it is said, usually do well in the job, arguing with others arguably. They are therefore considered conflicting. They allegedly concentrate primarily on the material level and carry out conflicts at this level, without this leading to major disturbances in personal relationships with one another.
This is usually easier for them because their relationship to each other is usually more distant than that between women. That's why I say "usually" because I have already experienced it differently and therefore think that one should not overemphasize these gender clichés. Because many behaviors are just simply educated.
Conflict talks: Relationships improve the working atmosphere
On the other hand, women are often, but not always, the other way round. In private life, they are the great masters of relationships. Problems are often discussed in hours and days of confrontation. You could also say that many women are masters in conflict talks.
For women, the emotional relationship with close associates such as partners, family or friends is very important. They often transfer this attitude to the job. This has a positive impact on the working climate, which is why many companies have noticed that mixed teams are more successful.
Conflict management and culture: The relationship level makes life difficult for us
In conflicts, however, often the problematic side of this attitude, because the relationship level makes life difficult for us. "For women, conflicts are often inseparable from the emotional quality of the relationship," explains the journalist, coach and Best of HR – Berufebilder.de®Author Isabel Nitzsche.
"As a result, women often feel personally attacked in disputes, and sometimes even threatened by their very existence." The result: "Many women are much more reluctant than men to stand by their opinions and resolve conflicts," says Nitzsche.
Conflict resolution strategies: At the factual level, it is easier
If conflicts are mainly at the factual level, it is easier to deal with them. Then everyone involved can easily find a solution or at least a compromise. But communication often has not only a content, but also a relationship level. Therefore, it is sometimes not possible to resolve a conflict purely factually.
"Here it helps to become aware of one's own thoughts, expectations and feelings in order to be reasonably calm and relaxed and not lead a conflict discussion with acute anger. So it can succeed to break existing role models, "advises conflict expert Isabel Nitzsche.
Better argue: 10 conflict resolution tips
In order to settle a conflict, it is important to assess the situation correctly and to respond adequately. 10 tips on how to do it:
- Conflict with the boss: Women are often defined by their content and achievements, and men are often very much concerned about their position in the hierarchy. Therefore, you should never criticize the boss publicly and always be careful, not just to put it.
- Stress with employees: Conversely, as a boss, one should understand the group dynamics of his employees: women in particular tend to be addicted to harmony, but on the other hand to expect too much from colleagues and employees.
- If the customer disagrees: For self-employed people, the customer takes over the role of the boss: one of the main traps lies in the fear of losing the customer, to show too much need for harmony. Refer position to the customer!
- First aid with Zickenalarm: Women often have problems admitting that there is a competitive relationship between them, which is why many conflicts are concealed, for example, with snappy remarks. An open conversation can help!
- Women and men: Men are more concerned with hierarchies and power, women are mostly foreign. Anyone who wants to make a career, however, has to know the rules of the male game and think carefully about when he wants to break them.
- Open conflicts: They can be loud, ugly and emotional - but it's clear to everyone involved that it's a conflict. This is a big advantage, this kind of conflict, because they can be addressed openly.
- Hidden conflicts: Often it is not clear to the participants that this is a conflict, there is only a diffuse tension. If, for example, colleagues are no longer open-minded with one, do not hesitate and search for a conversation to see if there is a conflict.
- Suspended conflicts: Here comes the conflict in another place to the outbreak and is incomprehensible to the parties. Here it is necessary to ask what the problem is.
- Judgment or path conflict: Everyone agrees on the goal, but not on the way there? Analyze the reasons for the conflict: Different experiences, unclear communication or power striving. Be aware that everyone is in the Team, want to resolve the conflict and do that together.
- Distribution conflict: He is usually the easiest to recognize: There is not enough cake for too many people, but everyone wants something. Solution: Find a compromise that everyone can live with.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).