7 tips for the right one eMail-Communication
eMails are my preferred means of communication - fast, stress-free, possibly time-delayed. The above video does not just show how eMailCommunication quickly becomes inefficient, it also points to a fundamental communication problem: many of us are useless with a flood every day eMailflooding must spend too much time divorcing the useful from the nasty.
Denn eMailToday, they are the number one communication tool used on almost every occasion, especially at work. But not always eMailThey are also the best remedy, sometimes they are completely inappropriate. We will show you what you have to be aware of.
- eMails are not always an advantage Especially at work, most people communicate almost exclusively by eMail, Because usually it is faster to cut out a few lines than to pick up the phone or even to bring a letter on the way. A eMail So saves time and money, no wonder they are so popular. But not always eMails an advantage: For example, you can not replace facial expressions, gestures or voice of the interlocutor. Therefore, the subtle nuances are missing in the conversation and the pure, unfiltered content quickly leads to misunderstandings and bad quarrels. A letter, on the other hand, has the advantage that you can go over the written information in detail, until you put the letter in the box.
- When are eMails inappropriate? Apart from the content, there are also a number of situations in which eMails are rather inappropriate: So are luck and Christmas wishes per eMail widespread, but the German Knigge of Duden points out that it depends on the particular occasion, the personal style and the relationship between sender and recipient, whether the good wishes should actually be sent via e-mail or better in another form:
- Depending on the occasion: The more important the occasion, the sooner a letter is attached to a card. However, when dealing with the sender or recipient is usually quite informal, there is one too eMail possible.
- Private and important do not belong in one eMail: Even private content should be better not per eMail exchange: Although it is purely legal as in letters or phone calls the postal or telecommunications secrecy.
- Caution eavesdropper: However, modern technology makes that possible eMails can be read by unauthorized persons at any time while they are being sent or in the inbox. So if you absolutely private content per eMail must ship, you should at least encrypt this.
- Do eMails productive? A few years ago, the US study "Information Technology Use and Productivity at the Individual Level" came to the conclusion that modern internet communication makes you more productive - if you use it correctly. And that in turn depends on the network. According to the study are not the employees with the heaviest eMail-Contact, the largest social network outside the company or the most time consuming for eMails are particularly productive; rather, how big that is eMailNetwork within the company is.
- eMail use with measure and goal: The modern eMailCommunication does not support communication with the outside world, but, when used properly, promotes exchanges within the company. At least if the eMails are used moderately and not too much time is spent on it eMails are the right productivity drivers.
7 tips for communicating with bosses and colleagues
Rhetoric score points with the boss - as surveys among executives show: Apparently applicants and employees have better maps of their boss, if you can speak and write well. Who can communicate well in the job is clearly in the advantage. However, one must also differentiate here by sector:
In the Kommnunkiationsbranche, communication skills are certainly once again asked quite differently than, for example, with engineers. Nevertheless, at the latest, those who want to take on management tasks should deal with their communicative skills. And he should know how to deal with verbal attacks.
- Verbally better selling: At first glance, extrovert types are easier than introverts. Nevertheless, they can learn to verbally sell better and enforce. And certainly their success also depends on whether the respective environment rather communicative - or not and how the corresponding expectations.
- Be ready to dialogue: Who visites progress wants, should always be ready for dialogue, which also means being open to criticism and suggestions for improvement and always taking on a factual or mediating role in conflicts. However, this attitude is not always effective - namely not when it comes to verbal attacks.
- Verbal Attacks parry: An important point in enforcing your opinion in everyday working life is skillfully parrying verbal attacks and understanding that they are. "That's always the same with you: say what you have no idea about. Leave the talking and think the pro! "Who does not know, such sudden and unexpected Verbalattacken. And then you stand there speechless-dumbfounded and think: "What is that supposed to do now? And what do I do now? How do I counter that? "
- Correctly react: A simple and effective way to counter that then in a next step: Give the black Peter back! Imagine, the colleague says: "This is again one of your completely unthinkable suggestions. One has the impression that you have not listened properly to the boss. "
- Lose no time: Do not waste any thought on the content of the statement, but just comment on the nature of the attack - always in the we-form: "I would ask you to find the sound that fits our culture", "This style is not the style we are used to here. Would you please remain objective, like everyone else "or" It does not match the level in this company to make such polemical utterances. "
- Insulate insolent colleagues in the group: If it gets too colorful for you: Exposing the outrageous colleague as the one who prevents productive work: "We do not come to a conclusion in terms of content", "It is in the interest of all here that we quickly deal with our issues", "We all wish us an efficient meeting.
- Turn to more important topics: "We have more important topics" or "With this kind you prevent us from getting on with this." By isolating them, they also make shameless colleagues look bad in front of the boss because he boycotted the productive result.
7 tips to reduce stress and communicate better
Stress also affects the ability to communicate. Because in the long term, it is not only exhausting, but also affects the brain and is even dangerous to health: There is no more time to recover. That means you are always in a state of emergency.
As a result, pollutants remain in the body which, for example, are found in the vessels and lead to cardiovascular diseases. And: Constipation can change the brain structure. The brain adapts to negative stress. And the ability to communicate suffers. 7 tips on how to prevent this.
- To breathe: It sounds banal, but many people breathe deeply and too flatly in everyday life. Breathing significantly reduces the stress hormones in the body. So just take a deep breath!
- Regular breaks and sports: The same effect has regular breaks and sports, which leads to a better oxygen supply in the head.
- Distance to stressful situations: Often this is also the circumstances that give us stress. In a stressful dialogue it helps to leave the room for a short time and to visit a quiet place. If this is not possible, simply push a coffee cup between yourself and the stress factor.
- Avoid perfectionism: Some occupations are more affected than others, such as social professions, housewives and stewardesses, and more recently IT professionals. However, psychologists explain that lasting stress does not inevitably lead to burnout. There are certain stress-enhancing properties that make a person more susceptible to stress, such as: For example, the urge for perfectionism or recognition.
- Question competitiveness: In our society, competition is the order of the day. But no one can win the race for recognition. To make this conscious, reduces stress enormously.
- More often just say "No": Whoever says yes only makes himself popular - because others then unload all the work on him. Until he bursts. Better to say "no" in time, to gain respect - and to keep the stress off your neck.
- Recognize burnout in time: Burnout syndrome is a form of stress disorder, a chronic state of fatigue. According to estimates, every fourth German has the feeling that the "battery is empty". Especially 25- to 45-year-old working people are affected. Experts suspect: Anyone who has got a good job on 45 has probably learned its mechanisms and knows how to deal with stress.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).