Success factor torpedo defense
Oh dear, dear - you have to present! In front of all the important, critical, skeptical people! The problem: The best preparation of the content does not help if the boss or someone else intervenes. What can you do How are you successful with a presentation? With well-researched content? If it were that easy! With colorful pictures? That was once.
No, the decisive factor for success is the one with which you least expect: disturbances from the boss, heckling of good-byes, jokes at your expense, in short: disarm presentation torpedoes.
A remark that kills careers!
And for a simple reason: If even a joke "sits" at your expense and your listeners smirk smugly or even laugh loudly, then afterwards nobody guarentees any more about your well-researched content.
With a single critical remark, a hierarch can collapse your beautiful presentation building. Unless they let his demolition excavator out. Surprisingly, even old presentation bunnies can do badly rather than right, as I experience again and again in coaching and training.
Top content, torpedo defense flop
Again and again it amazes me, how well they prepare themselves in terms of content and how little on what is actually completely normal at such events:
The audience whisper among themselves, talk in between, ask stupid questions or play power games, profiling matches or "shoot the presenter off the rope".
The right defense for every torpedo!
Just recently, a department head complained to me: "Our area manager gets on my nerves so much. In every presentation he plays endlessly around his Blackberry. "In each one? Why did not the head of department do something about it? Because he has no torpedo defense.
The good news, for all those who often fail during a presentation to interrogators and fools: There is a functioning torpedo defense against every torpedo. And defense is worthwhile, because if it succeeds, this considerably increases your reputation among colleagues and bosses.
Rhetoric counts more as content
Unfortunately, rhetoric matters more than just content: if you can master even a single interjection, a single "disturbance", elegant, superior and sovereign, this boosts your reputation.
Your perceived competence will be much stronger and more sustainable than the greatest content. The question is: how do you win this torpedo sovereignty?
Sharpen your defense
A professional torpedo defense is not all that hard to learn, even if handled in no time at all.
I am only surprised that most of the presenters are so terribly stiffened on their content and then can actually pack the first call. No need. Make your torpedo defenses sharp!
3 instant prescriptions
If you do not face the next presentation in the coming hours, three of many instant prescriptions that you can instantly implement:
- Look forward to disturbances!
- Customize standard anti-torpedo strategies!
- Faults are not disturbances!
Success: fall down and get up again
Success is once more to stand up than to fall. Paulo Coelho wrote:
Learn that victories and defeats are part of everyone's lives - except for the lives of the cowards.
This seems to be a problem for some people: Recently, a seminar participant said:
"Ms Topf I tried your recommendation once - it did not work, I'll never do that again."
3 tips for success
So you will not succeed. Success means much more:
- Be persistent with the motto: I never, never, never, never give up.
- But still recognize when "more of the same" is the wrong recipe and you have to try new ways.
- Learn the rules so you know when it is Sense does not obey them.
3 tips for working with others
And the following rules apply to cooperation with others:
- If in doubt, do it alone, before you enter with windy partners, who play with you riders.
- Be better and / or different from the others: Get yourself a USP.
- Think smartly about which partners help you with your success - and which not.
3 tips for the example presentation presentation
To return to the example from the last you hold your lecture - and peng, a torpedo is fired against you. Oh dear, what now? How react? How to make sure that you do not get seriously hurt and your carefully prepared talk with man and mouse goes down? Three tips on how to defuse presentation torpedoes instantly.
- Look forward to disturbances: Anticipation is half the battle. I am always shocked when Coachees say to me after their presentation: "My head of department once again split my hair - I could have thought so!" Yes, why only afterwards? If you also list the expected faults in addition to your presentation content - before the presentation! - will hardly surprise you any more. You will definitely expect it - and be well prepared, thanks to Tip 2.
- Customize standard anti-torpedo strategies: Repartee is not a spontaneous feature. Many believe that. They believe that one can deal with attacks of all kinds from a standing position. That's an unrealistic expectation. You can not talk Swahili at first! Practice makes perfect, the master. For this reason, you should refer to all the expected faults listed under 1) for suitable sample formulations. Preparation means not only contentwise, but also disruption-oriented preparation.
- Faults are not disturbances: As a rule, disturbances are not at all. Let's say your supervisor says in the middle of the presentation: "It never works!" From your point of view, things will only go wrong if you assume that the boss wants to shoot you off the rope. It looks like this for every amateur, but it's not like this: The boss wants to profile himself first and foremost. So you say: “Logically, you were the first to notice: The crux is of course in the implementation of the concept. We definitely have to go a step further. ”And then continue with the text. What do you think you look like afterwards? Good. Sovereign. Impressive. Not because you “stood up” to the boss - no one has used antagonism. But because you have agreed with him and yourself at the same time. Clever. And effective.
It's not just about the thing
Women often believe that the job is about the job. But good performance contributes only to a small extent to success. Too often, it's about image and acquaintance. Means: who presents himself well, has more success!
In coaching, I keep meeting young leaders who tell me: â € œI am also one who has believed for years that I can make a name for myself. How could I have been so wrong? Â € They are coming into coaching so I can â € œcoachâ € them. I often have to make it painfully clear to them: the job is not just about the matter. It's also about power and self-expression, of course. I don't think that's morally acceptable.
Play for the sake of the matter?
But if you love your job and really want to do something good, you have to either set up your own business, start your own business - or strategically manage schizophrenia according to the motto:
I play the embarrassing game of power and self-expression - but only to do good in the end.
You have to decide
But if you decide to do so, you have to be hell-bent on not losing yourself, as is the case with the many board members that I then meet in my coaching practice.
But what does not matter at all: frustrate the retreat, instead of consciously deciding. Because mails and word messages from wives or partners of board members and managing directors always come back to me.
Better to become active yourself
And then listen to and read such sentences: "I have my hands full to keep my husband on the floor as a board member of an international company!", "I myself was a department manager and at some point found that my dear colleagues only for their own progress, not about content. "
It's better to become active yourself!
What do you want?
No question: A system in which above all those who can better market, is questionable. I do not deny that. That does not even deny board members. But that's not the point.
It's about: What do you want? "I thought I could make a difference." Anyone who says that wants two things: to move things forward and make a name for themselves. Think about it: what do I want more?
For the cause, against the career!
I know a lot of women who have decided with full conviction for the cause since 20 years at clerk level throw the whole store - and thus get no recognition and career from the Old Boys, but who are very happy and successful with it.
The reason for this is simply that these women have deliberately opted for the cause and the career.
Play the power game
On the other hand, there are also many women who have made a conscious decision: "If I can not get on with my expertise, then I'll just hit the system with his own weapons and get myself a senior position."
And this upscale position then uses woman to do much good. Like the young entrepreneur, who inherited the construction company from her father and was soon awarded an entrepreneurial prize because she now builds ecologically and socially sustainable. For example, she says, "Why should not two mothers share a job?"
Frustration does not continue!
Ergo: It is possible to do good things and not be interested in careers. It is also possible to use the ailing system itself to do even more good from a higher position.
On the other hand, what does not matter at all: to scold the system, to condemn its injustices and senseless power struggles
Conclusion: conscious decision!
Until so many women are in the system to make a complete change, each one of us should go through one of two attitudes that will both achieve success and satisfaction: I do good things - I do not care about my position. Or: I'm doing good things - and get me an upscale position.
Two equal paths to happiness. Which is yours?
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourses or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).