Fact is, the fewest executives have a long-term strategy for their careers.
But that is important to get on the job. Therefore here 6 detailed practical tips for young and prospective executives.
Praxistipp 1: Look for internal alternatives!
Instead of running job hopping and having a long list of positions that may seem imposing at first glance, you may as well look into your own Company worth:
- What career alternatives are there?
- Often new tasks and areas of expertise have their appeal - is job rotation possible in the company?
- Is the next step in a (more extensive) leadership position or is a specialist career in question?
Praxistipp 2: Maintain internal networks
All these topics can be discussed by senior managers with their supervisor. For him too, it is important to know the goals of the employees in order to be able to support them. Regular interviews (once a year) for their own development are common in many companies and can also be requested.
As a rule, there are also internal job advertisements, which show vacancies in their own company. Maintaining a good internal network is also a good idea, as executives can learn very early about where an additional job is created or a new job is planned.
Praxistipp 3: Focus on your own development!
Regardless of whether career beginners and young managers want to make career internally or externally, the most important thing is to deal with their own development - and this as early as possible.
The following questions must be asked:
- What is the goal? How much (personnel) responsibility would the employer want to take over?
- Is a management career actually the right way - or is a professional career perhaps not the better decision?
- Would you prefer a career in a company or a family-run medium-sized company?
- Is it important to lead in line or is project management the better solution?
It is best to keep the considerations in writing and in as much detail as possible, as they form the basis for career planning and can be adapted to new findings in the course of life.
Practical tip 4: recognize personal skills and expertise
In the next step, it is worthwhile for executives to determine what personal skills and professional competences it needs to achieve goals.
- Which of these are already available and which can be learned as and where?
- What real talents can they employ and how do they have to be expanded?
- Is a postgraduate degree or a continuing vocational training required?
- Should aspiring talents move abroad for a while to be well-placed for the dream job?
Practical tip 5: recognize personal skills and expertise
Especially important for a leadership career is the discussion of leadership:
- What is important in this context?
- What does leadership mean?
- Does this fit into the company's leadership culture?
- Why a career as a leader?
In addition to self-reflection, the exchange with close friends and a comparison of whether the self-assessment realistic. A coach can provide professional support here.
Praxistipp 6: Designing scenarios for the coming years
According to this, talents and young leaders should design scenarios for the next three, five and ten years, and at least once a year, check whether their goals could be realized or priorities have to be distributed differently:
- What are my goals?
- Is my way still to these goals?
- What are the alternatives?
However, it is extremely important for experienced executives to sharpen their outlook on career opportunities outside their own company.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960206
English version: ISBN 9783965960213 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).