Official career - why is she interesting?
Quite a few parents wish for their children a secure job in a civil service relationship. Civil servants are still a group of people who on the one hand faces a certain malice. On the other hand, it reacts with envy when officials identify themselves (outside the authorities). Where does this ambivalence come from?
Civil servants are not employees but a special profession. Anchored in the public service (öD), they perform on the one hand special tasks. On the other hand, civil servants are also subject to special rules and regulations, which in some cases distinguish them very clearly from civil servants.
Responsibilities for civil servants
Incidentally, the concept and function of civil servants is not a modern invention. Representatives of the state with special tasks and powers already existed in antiquity. And even then, for the civil servants, what still applies today is that the state as employer assumes special care - often even for a lifetime.
Professionals similar to today's picture are in the 18. or in 19. Century emerged. Until then, it was not rare in Germany representatives of the nobility, who served the state (often but also their own interests). In 19. In the 19th century, the position of the civil servant as a servant of the state was finally established by law. Since then, civil servants have become an important professional group that uses federal and state governments to perform and perform sovereign tasks.
What makes officials?
What exactly does the civil servant status mean? Officials can be defined differently - by the
- State Legal
- legal liability
Point of view.
In general, however, officials associate a certain framework in which the civil service relationship moves. They stand in a service and loyalty relationship with their employer, The latter is not limited to the federal government.
Use of officials?
Officials are today from:
- Federal states (state officials)
- Municipalities (municipal officials)
- Public corporations
used. These bodies may include foundations, universities or professional chambers.
Civil servants are used today in very different areas. In general, they are to be found as officials in public authorities, but also in law enforcement (keyword police) or in prison. Police is a large area where officials are deployed. Here the state expects a special loyalty.
Especially at the state level, civil servants can also appear as teachers within schools. But also in private law Company an official may be appointed - provided that there is a corresponding assignment (secondment). Crucial for this is, inter alia, § 20 civil servant status law. This was necessary, among other things, through the privatization of various state-owned enterprises.
Career and career opportunities for civil servants
In principle, civil servants are divided into four categories, which are:
Incidentally, soldiers and judges are also civil servants, but each form their own professional groups in the civil service.
Instead of the direct entry through training at the state or the classic civil service career, there are also opportunities for newcomers from other areas. So are Currently, IT specialists are in high demand and have the option of having a secure civil service post in an authority.
4 benefits for civil servants
Officials are subject to a loyalty to the employer, which brings some restrictions - such as the issue of right to strike. Why engage in this restriction? The civil servant status has some advantages. However, before these are used, there are some hurdles to overcome. Background: In order to be appointed to the post of civil servant, both are
- Ability as well
demonstrated. Empowerment means that candidates have completed certain educational and graduation requirements.
- Appointment for life: Civil servants receive in training the term civil servant on revocation, then they are officials on probation. If all requirements are met, an appointment as a civil servant (BaL) can be made. This is literally literal. From such a civil service relationship can only be eliminated by death, misconduct in the sense of a final conviction, the loss of citizenship or at their own request. Thus an official in this position is de facto non-terminable. Of course, a loss of official status can also result in a serious offense (such as corruption).
- Health care: Officials are in the service of the state / public administration and refrain from employee-specific rights. This special relationship of loyalty is honored on the one hand with advantages such as the appointment for life. On the other hand, the employer also takes special care in case of illness. The so-called aid reimburses medical expenses (generally up to half of the costs incurred). Therefore, the official only has to hedge the remaining costs. There are special tariffs for private health insurance (PKV). However, this medical expenses care is a double-edged sword, as there is no family insurance in private health insurance. Even if young people are entitled to a subsidy, civil servants should think very carefully about which way to go in the end.
- Finances in old age: A very big advantage compared to employees is the position in old age. Instead of a pension, civil servants receive a retirement pension. The remuneration depends on the gross income of the last two years of service and is usually around 70 percent. Thus, officials achieve a much higher economic performance in old age.
- Better position for financing: The fact that civil servants hold a certain special position also has an effect on everyday life. For example, public servants are given credit when it comes to granting loans - due to the comfortable situation with regard to income and termination status. The lower job security risk ensures that loans can be given on very favorable terms. Whether aged or financially, civil servant status can bring many benefits. However, more attention should be paid to dubious offers here. Because special loans for civil servants actually do not exist, Relevant keywords are used to deliver lurid advertisements. Also, officials should look for a trusted partner when looking for a loan.
4 disadvantages of civil servant status
In Germany there are currently (2018) according to German Civil Servants Association around 1,84 million officials. 1,84 millions who found themselves on the sunny side. The benefits of civil servant status can not be denied. Anyone who is after school for an apprenticeship and the start in a civil service career or as a career changer for it, but must not hide the disadvantages.
There are a few points that must be clear to any candidate. Because the care of the employer, there is only in exchange for the special relationship of loyalty. What is meant by this context?
- Image problem: The public administration is slow, inefficient and makes mistakes. The image of the officials is not the best. This point just needs to be clear. Parts of the population consider the civil servants' status a waste of money and would even like to abolish the public administration in this form.
- Stress / strain: Everybody starts his friday at the age of one - this saying is often used for the work ethic of civil servants. However, this does not mean that officials are not exposed to stressful situations. On the contrary, analyzes of health insurance companies indicate that civil servants are exposed to high levels of burdens and often retire due to invalidity.
- Less employee rights: Employees may resign from work to emphasize their demand. Officials can not rely on this right. Just recently the Federal Constitutional Court has confirmed this strike ban (a fundamental right of employees).
- Transfers without consent: In companies and the administration, employees have some say when it comes to transfers. Officers can be seconded by the employer without being able to influence it. Especially with regard to a change of service, this can definitely lead to a considerable additional effort - keyword commuter.
Conclusion: weigh the pros and cons of civil servant status
Public administrations would not be possible without them. There is talk of officials. Because of their special position vis-à-vis the employer, they have claims that an employee can only dream of. This starts with the health insurance and ends with the provision of care in retirement. To seek an appointment as a civil servant for life, may be worthwhile.
But it must also be clear at this point that the official is subject to some restrictions with this step. The right to strike for this group of people recently heard before the Constitutional Court is just one of the many issues that need to be addressed here. Also, the possibility of being simply transferred, must play a role in the considerations.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).