Job interview - great demand for tips
I actually thought, slowly all the tips and tricks on job interview would be mediated. But recently, a career counselor told me how many job seekers are still asking for information on this topic.
And: Especially for the increasingly German number of applicants who are currently pouring into the German labor market from other countries, such topics are in fact still new territory.
The question of motivation
A popular question that HR managers like to ask is the motivation for one Casting, Anyone who answers here with "I found their address in the yellow pages" or "my current boss is annoying" has already lost. It is better to emphasize the advantages of the company in which you want to work here.
This presupposes, of course, that you have informed yourself in advance. And a very big faux pas is to justify the change of the job: anyone who can see through the fact that something interferes with the workplace so far, quickly gives the impression of being a difficult employee.
Ability to solve problems
Also popular are questions from the daily work, which should examine the problem solving ability of an applicant. For example, someone who applies for a position as a safety engineer on an offshore oil rig and whom the boss asks:
The candidate has to leave in two hours for a crisis operation in the Gulf of Mexico and is asked how he would do it concretely? Anyone who claims to be the first to worry about changing the newspaper delivery during his absence may be prudent, but with the wrong priorities. It is better to enumerate the necessary equipment.
Strengths emphasize weaknesses beautiful
But not only with such case studies, potential employers want to test the strengths and weaknesses of their applicants - often enough, just ask the applicant directly, what does he think of himself. For example, the question about one's own strengths. The optimal answer would be to refer to one's own ability to learn - because that can always be interpreted positively. Well, it is also important if you can prove your skills with work experience.
The fact that the truth is a little bit smoother about this question is also shown by various surveys. According to this, in Germany the most frequently lied lie in the tasks in the previous job and in the management skills. Far less courageous are the employees in spe when it comes to inventing software skills or education.
10 Tips for Difficult Questions in the Job Interview
Talking talk is always an exception. For even seemingly innocent questions often only aim at testing the applicant thoroughly. Therefore, be careful with the answers! 10 Tips, what to look out for, so that you become your desired company to the number 1!
- The own strengths: Avoid strengths that can be interpreted as weaknesses. High enthusiasm could also be interpreted as jumpiness.
- Failure: You become wise when it comes to mistakes - and that is exactly what you should show when you ask about previous failures instead of complaining about spilled milk.
- Your goals: Fies is also the question "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" If the answer seems too ambitious, the potential employer has the impression that they used the job only as a springboard. But he will not hire someone who does not make an effort. Dodge: "It depends on the situation ..."
- The little difference: "What sets you apart from other applicants?" - the intent behind this question is to figure out why you should be taken. Emphasize your strengths.
- Family Planning: The question of children is inadmissible, so you may flunk a little: Just know that your job is more important to you at the moment.
- Overtime: If you are fully committed to working overtime, this seems unbelievable and gives the impression that you have your time planning in mind.
- CV: Also with questions about the CV you should expect. So just record things there you can say something about - otherwise you'll be there as a liar.
- Terminations and Bad grades: For layoffs or bad grades past, you should not blame others, but also stand for your mistakes.
- Longer unemployment: You have been looking for a job for a few months: Pack it positively if you are asked about it - eg if you have continued to develop or reorientate during this time.
- Career choice: It is very bad if you have chosen your job only because of the parents or because they just do not know what you wanted to do. Your job should always be a vocation.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).