A quarter let the break whiz
Break time is recovery time. But what if the break in the break is too short? Many employees in Germany do not feel well after their lunch break. This was the result of a survey of the online portal kursfinder.de among employees from various industries.
The survey was carried out via an online questionnaire. 80 percent of those questioned stated that they worked between six and nine hours a day, almost all of them worked on-site in the Company.
79 percent find pause time sufficient
It is no wonder that the break is not recommended as relaxing: Employees in the Federal Republic usually spend half an hour to an hour on a working day of between six and nine hours.
The duration of the break is considered sufficient by the majority of respondents (79 percent).
Insufficient for recovery
However, it is not enough to relax. Around 80 percent of those questioned felt “sometimes”, “rather rarely” or “actually not” recovered after the break. There is one main reason for this: the interruption of working hours is not perceived as relaxing, it does not help many people to replenish the energy storage for the second half of the working day.
However, it is even more violent: almost a quarter of the employees do without the lunch break. The workload is cited as the main reason. Here are breaks and rest periods required by law - even if many employers would like to notice.
Do breaks bring recovery?
Surprising: Nearly two-thirds of the respondents are non-executive employees, one quarter belong to the middle management, and only six percent are managers.
Is it due to the break design, why many people do not consider the interruption of working hours as relaxing? Hardly likely. After all, most of the activities involved in the lunch break play a role in helping to recharge your batteries:
Typical break activities
Eating (31 percent), maintaining social contacts through conversations with colleagues (28 percent), and exercise by taking walks in the fresh air (23 percent). Activities which, on the other hand, are regarded as having little restorative activity, such as private errands, make surfing the Internet are barely executed by respondents.
It is more natural that a break on the working day is not enough for many. After all, almost every second respondent expressed the wish for a second break. For almost half, however, there is only one break, namely the lunch break, even if a majority of the employees (90 percent) give breaks the grade “important” to “very important”.
Pay attention to signals of the body
Finally, the body sends a signal when it needs a break. The most common indicator for 40 percent of respondents is the decreasing ability to concentrate. Nearly one in three (31 percent) feels the need for a break because they feel hungry or thirsty. The third most common indication of the need for a puff is oncoming fatigue.
But then to take a break is anything but easy. Only 44 percent of workers can decide for themselves when to take a break. The remaining 56 percent are linked to time windows, production processes or the employer.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).