Constructively overcome performance dips
Breakdowns in working life occur - and they can affect everyone. However, you should be able to identify the causes of such lows and bring back employees to the team who are no longer fully involved in the process. This also involves overcoming temporary dips through constructive approaches.
It is not advisable to do so for various reasons because of the at least possible alternative - the separation from each employee, where a performance break-up is visible. Personnel changes are always associated with unrest and friction losses. It means high time and cost to find suitable employees on the market.
The disadvantages of employee change
In the long term, a high turnover of staff can permanently damage the image of a company. Especially when employers are no longer considered safe partners for shaping their own future.
In the interests of humanitarian considerations, it is advantageous for the above-mentioned reasons alone to break down performance breaks or bad phases together, instead of separating one from the other. The best solution is to shape the existing workforce into an optimal team.
Employee motivation in 3 steps
Follow 3 steps. In order to successfully apply the necessary steps, you should have a certain relationship of trust with your employees. This makes it easier for both sides to address problematic constellations.
- Clarify causes and take initial measures
- Recognize "inner layoffs" and react to them
- lead constructive discussions of criticism with persistently bad achievements.
An important prerequisite is that you are able to signal your employees even in difficult moments. If your perception is permanently lacking, your counterpart will feel this. It is also difficult to motivate a weak employee who has already been characterized as such.
5 tips for more motivated employees
It is perfectly normal in one Company Not every employee works the same way at any time. Health restrictions, private upheaval - both positive and negative - and job disillusion can lead to fluctuations that can be tolerated to some extent.
If, however, a poor performance is too long, then it is necessary to react. This, on the other hand, requires your responsibility as a leader for the success of tasks. On the other hand, this also requires fairness to the other team members. As a matter of fact, the other employees can absorb individual failures, but this can not be achieved in the long run.
- Clarify the causes and take the first steps: It is not always the case that bad work results are due to a lack of effort. Perhaps a structural problem is the cause of the poor result? In this case, you run the risk of blaming your employee for a defect that is not actually within its sphere of influence. If you do not recognize this and do not fix it, the structural problem will persist - and a massive motivation problem will be added! So check the possible facts!
- Is the defective result due to equipment? If so, have the employee in question provided with the necessary equipment and powers. Depending on the workplace, these can be technical devices, sources of information, presentation materials and much more. It is best to clarify directly with the respective employee which aids could improve his work results.
- Is the defect conditional? When answering this question, instinct is needed, because this is about the very personal characteristics of the employee - mental, physical and emotional nature. Ask yourself which prerequisites are required for the respective task and whether the respective employee brings them with you. Someone can be a genius, but may not have the diplomatic skills to talk to difficult customers. When such difficulties are analyzed, solutions can be found. Be it by having the employee trained for the specific challenge. Be it in the form of a task redistribution in the team: Then, for example, the ingenious strategist develops a concept, and his more affable colleague takes on the task of winning the customer for the idea. If you treat the different talents with equal esteem, you have a good chance that such a division of responsibilities will be seen as meaningful and beneficial for all.
- Is the defect due to knowledge? Clarify - if possible in private and in an objective tone - whether the employee in question has all the skills that are necessary to carry out his task. Signal that you are not concerned with identifying your weaknesses from a controlling stance. Instead, convey that you see it as your task to bring it up to the required level of knowledge by means of more detailed training or training if necessary. Make it clear to your employee: "This also has the potential for professional development for you yourself." It will be all the easier for him to reveal any gaps in knowledge without hesitation, so that his knowledge deficits can be remedied quickly.
- Is the problem motivation-driven? If it shows that an employee lacks motivation, then you are looking for an open conversation with him. As a rule, the motivation to do the job is not without reason. Is the employee dissatisfied? Does he not feel valued? Does the task obstruct him? Refrain from reproaches. Stay relaxed and friendly: the sooner you can count on trust and openness. Both are necessary so you can tackle the problem together at the root. If you have identified what makes the employee slow, then take that factor as a real burden on him. Look for ways to improve the situation, and change it. But do not make any promises, which you will not keep later: This would only result in another motivation loss.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).