Why are the first years of 10?
In the first ten years of work, the salary increases by up to 70%, the employee mobility is highest, there are most job changes and the career path finds its foundation here.
If the economy develops badly during this period, the young workers lose many opportunities and often find no jobs that correspond to their good education. They start their careers in smaller companies and with lower salaries than previous generations.
How do Millenials assess their career chances?
On the basis of this observation, we have asked ourselves how Millennials in Europe and the USA themselves can assess their professional prospects and what you can do to enable a successful career start.
Of the German Millennials, only 24% believe that they have poorer career prospects than their parents. The supposedly rather grim Germans are the optimistic Europeans. In England, 37 fears a worse chance. In Spain, almost half (46%) of young adults are pessimistic - just like in France.
High youth unemployment in the south of Europe trims the prospect of a good career
The Spanish economy was hit hard in the last crisis, while 2016's 42% rate of youth unemployment was high. After the outbreak of the financial crisis in 2008, it even exceeded 50%. Our survey shows the scars of this brutal economic crisis. Nearly half of young Spaniards rate their job prospects worse than their parents.
Surprisingly, the French are just as pessimistic as the Spaniards, although the unemployment among young people is almost half as high as in Spain - it is at 26%. Obviously, the low level of economic growth is crucial for the gloomy assessment. An OECD report from 2016 cites low growth in France as worrying. In an international comparison, the USA is with 32% between Germany and the UK.
But there are also emerging economies in the upturn. For example, our survey data from Mexico are surprising. Young Mexicans, despite Trump, do not spoil the mood - only 19% believe that they will be worse off than their parents.
The country has recovered from the economic crisis of the early 1990s, so the bulk of the Millennials there is optimistic. The statements of the US government that the Americans would have to protect their southern border are contrary to the migration figures. There are more Mexicans returning home than leaving the country. This was the case before Trumps election victory.
10 Tips for the first years of 10: This is how the career style for Millenials will work
- Diversity replaces continuity: After two or more years, Millennials should ask themselves whether they still learn enough and gain experience in their position. If not, it is time to change or negotiate with the employer a training or a new position.
- Lifelong learning: Diverse experiences pay off in the long term, as the working world is changing faster than before. Technologies revolutionize every conventional industry, and the expertise that has been learned in training is often quickly outdated. Therefore, lifelong learning is becoming more and more important. :
- Away from specialization: Above all in Germany long specialists were in demand. While the generation of baby boomers could focus on their specialty in the long term and remain in the same company for a long time, the career path can now be predicted significantly worse.
- Set up Multidisciplinary: For the future better prepared is, who could get to know several departments. The technology for self-propelled cars is a good example. The automotive industry, traditionally a domain of mechanical engineers and mechanics, is today driven by software developers. Whoever could gain experience in both fields is very much in demand today.
- Get to know job requirements better: If you have identified a profession that really interests you, it is best to seek someone who already practices it. This makes it easy to see what the requirements of the profession actually have in everyday life. In addition, recruiters are a good place to find out more about a job profile.
- Expand your skills! Be realistic about assessing knowledge gaps. What separates you from those who already occupy the desired position? Close as many of these gaps as you can by learning the skills, knowledge and qualifications you need.
- Keep goals in focus: Keep your focus in view despite all the possibilities and do not get bogged down in the multitude of options.
- Switch clever: Think about whether a change of position within your organization or a volunteer activity could bring you closer to your goal.
- Customize the CV: Each Casting is individually and just as individually your CV should be tailored to the respective spot, so that your employer in special recognizes that you fit the new job.
- Away from the Chronological Curriculum Vitae: Here's a simple trick that goes against what we've learned about chronological CVs: highlight relevant skills and experiences on the first page of your resume and put your professional history second. This allows the prospective employer to immediately see how you can meet the job requirements.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).