12 Tips for Speakers by Kurt Tucholsky
Kurt Tucholsky is also known under his pseudonyms Kasper Hauser, Peter Panter, Theobald Tiger and Ignaz Wrobel as a sharp provocateur. He gave a speaker some of the following advice along the way - which unfortunately are still being heeded today:
- Never start with the beginning, but always three miles from the beginning! ("Ladies and gentlemen, before coming to the theme of this evening, let me know ...")
- Do not speak freely - that makes a troubled impression. It is best: you read your speech. That's for sure, reliable, and everyone will be pleased if the reading speaker looks up suspiciously after every fourth sentence, and if everyone is still there.
- Say, as you write. And I know how you write. Speak with long, long sentences, the subordinate sentences nicely nested ... You have to put everything in the subordinate clauses.
- Always start with the ancient Romans and always give the historical background of what you are talking about. This is not only German - all eyeglasses people do that. Always give him history, always give him.
- Do not worry if the waves coming from you into the audience come back too - these are Kinkerlitzchen. Say unconcerned about the effect, about the people, about the air in the hall. Always speak, my dear. God will reward you.
- From time to time, give the people a glass of water - you can see it.
- If you make a joke, laugh first, so you know where the punch line is.
- A speech is, how could it be different, a monologue. Because only one person speaks.
- A lot of statistics always makes a speech a lot. This is soothing, and since everyone is able to keep ten different numbers effortlessly, it is so much fun.
- Announce the end of your speech long before the listeners do not get a stroke.
- You do not just have to make a disposition, you also have to recite it - that spice up the speech.
- Never talk under an hour and a half, otherwise it will not be worth it.
Managers do not have to keep each speech by themselves
The all-rounder from the state was not born. Not every medical director of a clinic must be able to explain the "7 Sch (n / r) itte to the healthy prostate" on an open day. Not every police director is set to present the security concept at a major event. And it does not fit with every CEO or occasion to develop the future development in our industry. The reasons may be one of the following:
- lack of speech craft
- one-sided speech style - who lectures can does not necessarily have to be highly motivating on the way
- great cultural distance from the audience
- to new or missing thematic knowledge
- their own credibility (image) on the topic or their own thematic partiality
Visible defies non-speech
This is the field of the company's spokesperson or colleague, business experts and / or business lecturers. Nevertheless, the manager does not have to refrain from making himself visibly attractive:
For example, as a "teaser" he can open the topic and shows his connection to it, and on the other hand, he can also score heavily with the speaker in a one-to-one interview or a roundtable afterwards.
In the profession
But in the end, a decision whether to speak for yourself or to use someone else for it would be especially hard-fought, if the speech itself could be brought across well. There are only two ways.
- The entire professional image has to be revised, the training has to be extended urgently by the acquisition of speech competence. It is not enough to let results, concepts, etc., be carried forward in training. Also, a few insulated clues, which could be improved, do not lead to a closed toolbox. So you need knowing teachers. Then just young managers of the conviction through the good speech performance participate.
- However, if you already have some (more) professional experience, you should not be afraid to develop yourself step by step through a book, a personal coach, individual or group training or seminars. You should definitely make your own trip to the strange land of speech craft.
Because one thing is for sure: Everyone definitely gets better on this trip than he already is. - You can not promise that in everything. Promised.
Text as PDF, book or eCourse on the topic or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Book on the topic with discount: This text is also available in book form and you can buy the title here in two languages. You can also preview the book first look at and then purchase directly on the book page with a 20 percent member discount.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960909
English version: ISBN 9783965960916 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).