Set learning content and teach
To prepare students for jobs that do not even exist today and are subject to constant change is a challenge for our fast-paced world. As a matter of principle, lecturers face two challenges.
- The one difficulty is determining the right learning content.
- The other challenge is to convey this content.
Motivation of students
Achieving this goal is also difficult because students hardly seem to get involved in the lecture. According to studies by Steelcase and Gallup, the motivation of students is steadily falling - and these problems seem to extend to universities.
What is the reason? Traditional learning concepts do not match the workings of our brain. All the more easily, there are countless confusion factors that influence student attentions: conversations with fellow students, new messages on the smartphone or personal problems all too often distract from the lecture.
Attention is of the essence
Attention, however, is the key to engagement and thus to learning success. In order to awaken and maintain student attention in learning spaces, both brain functioning and physical factors need to be considered.
So it's high time to take a closer look at the dedicated students to find out why they are happier with their learning environment than the unmotivated ones.
How is the individual learning environment rated?
The evaluation of one's own learning environment includes more than just the hard facts such as the technical equipment, the lighting or the noise level.
A good learning environment facilitates the current task and supports the respective needs, eg after rest, exchange with colleagues or physical activity.
5 strategies to increase student attention
Based on research at various universities, the Steelcase WorkSpace has futures Team Therefore, 5 has developed strategies to promote attention.
- (Inter-) Active Learning Concepts: encourage students' attention and commitment more than traditional, passive learning approaches. The environment must also fit in. An ecosystem of active learning spaces supports and integrates pedagogy, technology and the space.
- Selection and control options for students: increase their motivation to participate in the teaching process. Formal learning is just one of many learning styles. The learning needs and behavior of students can vary greatly. A wide range of flexible rooms with a wide choice of options ensures that everyone finds the best place - whether it is concentrated work, informal exchange or social learning.
- Exercise gives power: and transports fresh oxygen into the brain. Ensure changes in didactics, but also in the spatial situation during the lecture. Flexible learning environments allow teachers and students to adapt their learning rooms quickly to a wide range of activities.
- Link between learners and learning content: Design classrooms with multiple "stages" (rather than a teacher's desk), multiple presentation spaces, and mobile seating so students can focus their attention on learning content throughout the room.
- Rhythm of learning: The capacities of the brain are limited and therefore tired when overused. Focusing on a task for longer than 45 minutes is almost impossible for most people. Offer spaces that support both concentration and creative thinking. Enable students to adapt the learning environment to current needs, take breaks, and classify work.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).