How does an assessment center run?
The Assessment Center is usually a one- to three-day event organized by the prospective employer, who uses a variety of tests to assess the candidate's personality and to assess job suitability. Six to twelve candidates try to master different tasks and exams in different situations, with several observers analyzing and evaluating them. An assessment center usually runs like this:
- In the beginning there is usually an introductory round, which is often continued with a group discussion.
- This is followed by case studies, competence tests, rolling games, so-called post-basket exercises and a self-presentation.
- This is usually completed with an interview in which the applicant must answer.
- The results are then compared with the requirements of the company. Of course, the requirements profile varies from place to place, but in general it can be said that characteristics such as persuasive power, fluency, ability to work in a team, as well as decision-making and judgment play a decisive role.
10 Tips for a successful recruiting day
When it comes to passing the Assessment Center not only safely but also successfully for your purposes: Here you will find 10 tips for the Assessment Center:
- Professional appearance: In the sense of "dress to impress", you should value a suitable style of clothing on this day. If you are not sure what to wear, choose the more elegant alternative. Here is the motto: Dear something over- as underdressed. However, a natural aura usually also helps with one or the other clothing faux pas.
- Pay attention to your behavior, but do not pretend: Also, because an assessment center can take a few hours to complete, it is important not to pretend to be focused on other tasks and the observers will ultimately notice when you play a role. And do not forget: In joint activities, such as lunch or breaks, applicants should continue to pay attention to their appearance and behavior - because even here they are under observation.
- Good preparation is half the battle: The preparation is the essence of an Assessment Center. The most important company, product and branch data should be available. Also one's own motivation for this job should be clear and express. How does my personality fit into the job in the future job?
- With good general knowledge: A good general knowledge and knowledge of current day events is also a prerequisite for making a good impression at the Assessment Center.
- Prepare yourself specifically: For the specific preparation of the individual tests, there are special specialist literature and advice, as well as assessment center seminars or individual individual coaching, which make you fit. A tip: In addition, simply train a few examples with family and friends.
- Rested and fit appear: To successfully master the Assessment Center, which requires a great deal of attention and concentration, one should be well rested and fit in there. Better no party on the eve!
- Watching and listening: Talking is silver, silence is gold - it is said. And this old adage could also apply to assessment centers. Because an interesting information about a comrade-in-arms or observer was already useful for many applicants - so keep your ears peeled!
- Structured and Analytical work: A structured and analytical approach also helps to cope with the usually very complex task. For the individual and group presentations one should necessarily the available equipment such as beamer or flipchart.
- Self-confident but not dominant: The presentation style should always be as individual as possible and the appearance self-confident, but not too dominant. Also think about that Team-Spirit: A group is usually only as strong as its weakest member.
- Do not get distracted: Do not let the unsettling questions out of the concept, keep you relaxed and above all always matter-of-fact. Always remember, the tasks are to be tested to see how stress-resistant you are. If a task times not work perfectly, no reason for concern. The art is simply to leave the stress and the frustration in the next task simply outside. That impressed and convinced the most.
More knowledge - Podcast, PDF download, eCourse or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save).
Listen to Podcast & Download MP3: You can listen to this text for free, as member even without annoying popup, or download the MP3 for a fee - Read usage rights, After the purchase page refresh, then you will find the download link here. Because we do not automatically submit the title of this podcast for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).